Free Online Storage

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by tobacco, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hello

I'm interested in free online storage for backup purposes with hopefully the following features.

- Again Free:D
    - Hoping for 10 gigs
    - Unlimited upload size
    - Download/Sharing limits are okay
    - Sync/Backup Software Included

A few have caught my eye though they offer less gigs that what i would prefer. I would appreciate any that you know of that fit this criteria and work well:thumb:

Any user comments on the 3 below? Thanks!.

Xdrive - http://www.xdrive.com/ (i would need to create an AOL account first)

Uses own Backup/Sync Software - Xdrive Desktop - http://www.xdrive.com/downloads.jsp

Mozy - http://mozy.com/?ref=U72F4G

MediaMax - https://www.mediamax.com/home/signup_storage.aspx

2. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Well i tried MediaMax as it offered 25 gigs free but their managing software needed NetFramework 2.0 and because of issues i experienced with version 1, this was a no go for me.

So for now, i have downgraded my expectations and installed 'DriveHQ. Only 1 gig free space but offers free also 2 very good programs in File Manager and Backup Manager. Scheduled a small 5 mb backup and worked flawless. Has realtime or schedule mode. File manager has many options including sync, encrypted folder and sharing. All in all, a very good freebie!.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Thanks and good advice!

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Another thought that occurs to me is if they are doing it free, what protection are they offering. What guarantee's etc. If you really value that data enough to even bother, I'd give it some more thought. Local protection, DVD, eternal drives etc.

Pete

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hello Pete

I agree with you and an External Drive i hope to have soon. But even so, having some prized photos, important data securely backed up online is a good idea incase of theft, damage, flood fire, etc.
    I going to see about bringing TrueCrypt to the party!

8. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

pete was right as regards data encryption- truecrypt is an excellent file encryption program, freeware and the best- then you can store your files with security. google it and try it

9. jp10558

jp10558 Registered Member

MediaMax's software is beta, and it shows. However, their web based service has been around for some time (well, their storage anyway, and I haven't had them loose anything of mine in 6 years, but then I've only put up 100mb or so) but their latest incarnation is also pretty crappy.

It doesn't work in Opera, it is somehow slower in IE6 than their old system, even though the new one is AJAX I believe.

I used to sing Streamload's praises till they turned into MediaMax, now I just keep it cause I've got so much stuff on there (shared from other users, not what I've uploaded).

Mozy is pretty slow, and their restore site also doesn't work in Opera, and I'm not really very impressed with their keeping filenames visible even with your own encryption key - but they do let you encrypt the contents in their client with your own key. Anyway, for free 2GB, it's not bad, but it's not really knocking my socks off either.

10. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Well, the one i like and IMO offers the most features including encryption is DriveHQ. Unfortunately, it offers the least amount of free space. Oh Well!.

11. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I've been trying out Mozy for the past few months and it works very well. The only downside for you is that the free product is limited to 2Gb storage, but other than that it performs very well indeed. It runs unobtrusively in the background and if I right-click a backed-up folder, I have the option to restore files to that folder from a number of dates and times. The data is encrypted (the choice of your own key or theirs) so looks to be pretty secure.

12. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

hmmm do any of these guys offer FTP access? I've also been thinking about this and I wouldn't mind paying $5 a month for some extra space (I have a lot of photographs and archived music).

13. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Yes.

DriveHQ - FTP Demo - http://www.drivehq.com/help/features/FTP.aspx

Free 1 Gig + paid additional in your wanted price range.

I've test realtime backup and works fine. Then using the sync feature, deleted files in local folder of backed up files and these were then removed from online backup. And again offers encryption features which after playing with AOL X-Drive, doesn't appear to offer.

14. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Hey,

I use both Mediamax and Mozy and like both of them.

So far I'm getting all my services for free.

I might sign up for Mozy's unlimited storage for $4.95 per month.

Both have their pros and cons so try them both.

Good luck.

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

A question to all: what stuff are you uploading to online storage services?

16. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Photos, Docs, etc, anything that i would regret losing if something happened on my end. The Docs i have stored in my online 'Encrypted Folder' which i determined the 'Password'. I guess if i felt i needed even more security than that, i could put them in an encrypted volume and back up that.

17. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Ditto to what tobacco said and I also upload a lot of mp3's.

18. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

A gentleman does not ask indiscreet questions, let alone reply to them ;)

25 GB of free online storage here:
    http://www.mediamax.com/

19. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Haven't tried this as yet but you can supposedly upload files over a gig in size.

http://www.myotherdrive.com/viewLogin.mydrive

20. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

OK :)
    I asked this due to privacy concerns. Some people may be storing unencrypted files with sensitive information.
    So, read the EULA/privacy policy before anything and only upload encrypted files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.