Free legal advice! What are the best sources on the internet

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I wanted to get some legal advice (I live in California) and it occurred to me that I don't have any idea of which sites are likely to be best. Is there such a thing as a highly regarded legal site on the internet that offers advice?

-HandsOff

2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

3. HandsOff

I've heard numerous terms, many of which, I would love to forget. Google can spew results until the end of time, and I could review each one of them.

...Or, I could ask the highly informed, select readers of Wilders Security Forums. On the one hand, we have a long list of resources endorsed by themselves. On the other hand we have the possibility of suggestions made by those who very likely have more expertise than myself when it comes to differentiating true internet resources from the internet equivalent of three ring circuses.

In all fairness, it is very likely that most of the type of services that I am likely to consider, have a lot of good information to offer. I am just wary of being buried in the avalanche of irrelevant results that may make reviewing the genuine results a bit less likely.

So, Legal Aid may be worth looking at, I take it? Sounds good to me!

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Are you looking for research materials or actual legal advice. Regarding the latter, most attorneys are not in the habit of giving free advice over the internet. Two problems are:
    1) free
    2) it is difficult to give accurate legal advice without meeting the client in person.

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

All you had to do is click the first link in those Google results for a starting point and check. These aren't irrelevant search results, they are relevant, showing the "Legal Aid' groups in Cal.

http://www.lawhelpca.org/CA/index.cfm

The truth is unless someone here lives in California and knows some Legal Aid groups then you're not going to find any information here from anyone.

Legal Aid groups are typically non-profit organizations, and since California is so big it looks like there are numerous ones for certain counties.

At least I was kind enough to Google for you to show you how easy the information is to find, and all you had to do was have the consideration of just checking the first link and calling, did you at least do that?

If not then I'd HIGHLY suggest it, otherwise get out the Yellow Pages at home and call either Attorneys, the Prosecuting Attorneys office, or Attorney General, etc.. to find the "Public Defenders" number in your area. Then through the "Public Defenders" you can find out about a Legal Aid group in your area, at least they should know, and if not here are some Google results for Cal. Public Defenders.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ult&cd=1&q=California Public Defender&spell=1

Otherwise just type in Google the name of the County you live in like:

Orange County Legal Aid

Then you'll find the Legal Aid group in your area.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  6. HandsOff

DasFox, and benny bronx,

Thanks for your replies.

@ DasFox, I didn't mean to imply that the searches that you suggested were not useful. To the contrary, your suggestions are excellent, and, to be honest, the term Legal Aid is new to me. I guess I was too embarrassed to admit that, but it's true. So thanks for that!

@ benny bronx - I can see where the two features of the free advice scenario I was referring to could lead to less than an optimum environment for the dispensation of free legal advice. I have had a certain amount of success reading questions and answers on something similar to a Legal Bulletin Board, where legal questions are handled in a way that is very similar to what they do here at Wilders for computer, and software related issues: There is an umbrella site with different forums for different problems that registered members submit. Someone with an appropriate background then submits a reply, and others may comment as well. Sound pretty cool? Well, it is, sort of!

I have, in the past sifted through scores of sites trying to find what I was looking for. I see two sites in my bookmarks: "Free Advice", and "Law BBS". If anyone is interested in the BBS style legal advice then you may wish to take a look.

I truly did not mean to waste anyones time with what may amount to the stupidity of my original question. I have some sort of phobia when it comes to the internet and finding information. I'm always afraid that I'm not getting the answers I need, but rather, the answers that someone else is pushing. So when the quality of results could make a huge difference I hedge my bets by asking people who are better at framing the questions, and culling the results. Your answers helped a lot! Thank you!

-HandsOff

7. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I didn't notice you were in the Bay Area, so I Googled Bay Area California Legal Aid.

BINGO ------> http://www.baylegal.org/ :)

NO PROBLEM, now where's that big stick of mine, time for some Whoop Ass, LOL... ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am no lawyer, but one of the best known legal related sites is nolo.com. I was able to get deed forms on many other websites and not have to go to a law office (you can also buy the software as well).

http://www.nolo.com/

9. steve161

10. HandsOff

Thanks, very much!

It is really interesting to get acquainted with the legal system. This seems to be an area where even very educated people don't seem to know as much as you would expect!

-HandsOff!

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

What area of the law are you needing advice in? Real Estate, Wills, Criminal law, small business, taxes?

What?

You probably have a couple options available besides Legal Aid and/or the Public Defender. Every state is different in how Legal Aid or Public Defenders are allowed to work. If you cannot find your answer at either of those places and you have a legitimate need for legal help you may also want to inquire at some of the local law schools in the Bay area. For one thing, many of the professors know local attorneys who may be able to do some pro bono work for you. And another thing is that sometimes professors know some law students who may be able to volunteer to do some legal research on your topic in the law library. Also, every once in a blue moon a professor or two may give some "off the cuff" advice as well...it just depends what info you are seeking and which area of law you need assistance.

This all depends on your issue(s) and ability to hire a private attorney. Hope that helps some.

12. HandsOff

Thanks, ACR1965-

I appreciate the comments - I have actually been drawing a great amount of strength from the responses that I have received! The particular area is...maybe the judicial process itself. I believe someone is guilty of committing fraud in order to claim property that was not theirs. They were not able to keep the property, but this was not for lack of trying. In my eyes the fraud was committed regardless of the success of their venture, but I am not sure how to go about finding out if they can (should?) be charged. This individual has ties to local law enforcement, and that does not appear to be an avenue that I can take. Hopefully, I will understand the situation better pretty soon!

-HandsOff

13. steve161

The decision whether to charge an individual with an offense is almost always made by the Office of the District Attorney in your county. The first step would be to set up an appointment with the appropriate branch and submit any and all evidence you may have that would tend to prove an offense has been commited by this individual. Any legal arguments, briefs, or memoranda you submit to them will likely be ignored.

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

The Prosecuting Attorney will probably just tell you to go to the local police/sheriff's department (most likely depending where the property is located) and to file a report. The only other suggestion I could make would be to see if the particular type of property attempted to be claimed is an area of the law handled by the state's attorney general's office, some other state agency or some federal agency (for instance some sort of insurance claim or particular business). If that is the case you could bypass the local prosecutor. This may also help if the person attempted to acquire the property using funds from a business monitored/regulated by the state's attorney general's office/other state agency or some federal agency.

15. HandsOff

You know, I had a feeling that it might go something like that. The thing, of course, is that having an officer take down a report, just doesn't do much in the way of administering justice. Then, for the most part, prosecutors and DA's and their staffs rely on police reports in order to take action? LOL, maybe I can make a citizen's arrest :D

In this case there is an entire bureaucracy in place, the DMV. That may well be the place to start. It will be interesting to see how seriously they view the incident.

Thanks, a lot! Now I have a good place to start!

-HandsOff

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

This sounds like a vehicle ownership issue? I do recall cases where people had to go to court to contest ownership issues with property that was rightfully theirs. It seems a shame that they had to waste their time fighting an issue that shouldn't have been raised in the first place. :mad:

17. HandsOff

It does sound like that I know, but actually that was not the issue at all. There was no dispute at all about the ownership. Someone just thought that they could pull a fast one before I found out. It's a sort of vulnerability in the laws that apply in this instance, where a towing company really has no way of knowing that they are releasing a car to the wrong person. But, as I say, the ownership was never a thing being contested. Someone just thought they could use a loophole and make the vehicle vanish into smoke. Anyway, that part is not important. I still have to get down to the DMV --- tomorrow hopefully, and see what there response will be. I'm afraid that under the circumstances, me recovering the vehicle, they are going to take an "alls well that ends well point of view". I don't feel that way. I feel victimized. But, what can you do?

-HandsOff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.