Free imaging software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ams963, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I encrypted my whole drive using Truecrypt, so I have to do a raw image backup. Which Free imaging software does the quickest raw image backups and raw image restores?

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

my guess would be drive image xml from a winpe disk although am sure someone will have a better suggestion

3. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

BTW, there a paid software specially made for backup of TC encrypted disks, from fssdev.com, but never tried it myself.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i honestly didnt think i would care for it but easeus 3.0 is pretty nice. a bit slow but does a really good job imo

5. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

Any issues restoring? With the 2.x version of Easeus, it would restore my System Reserved partition as 86mb instead of 100mb even though I told it not to resize...it would append the 14mb of "extra" space to the end of my last partition. Not sure if this has been resolved.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Not looking back. Used EaseUs ToDo Backup Free 2.0, now 3.0. Awesome. Easy & reliable. So simple it's almost idiot proof. I backup every month or so. My C (system) drive compresses from 24.6 GB to a 11.4 GB image. I verify the latest image & delete the previous one. I've used other image & cloning programs: ATI, Acronis MigrateEasy, Paragon, Macrium. An image with EaseUs takes 13-15 mins. to create & 3-5 mins to verify.

7. zfactor

i do not use the 100mb partition i personally dont want it so i can not verify that for you. i ALWAYS install without that just a pain in the neck if you ask me. never have had a issue where i needed it personally

8. zfactor

i was very surprised by using this for a customer the other day they asked me to install it and i played with it a bit and got curious so i came home to test it more and was very surprised by how well it worked. restored without a problem all 12 times i tested it so far. though i do not like it as much as a few others like ifw, active@ and even sp (but their lic'ing is bad imo). the only one complaint is its a bit large at around 300mb in the install folder and it does use a good amount of rem for me was about 130-140 while making a backup. the good was i could easily still use this system while it was running with almost no effect on anything it hardly seemed to be running at all.

9. pirej

pirej Registered Member

I like EaseUs ToDo Backup 3, but.. it take's ages to boot from it's boot cd.
    I tried the linux one and the winpe made by me using the free edition, and the winpe from "EaseUS Todo Backup Workstation".
    It's so slow that the first time i was thinking that my pc was "blocked" or something, and i almost did a hard reset.. and then the gui showed up.
    Then i tried the "pre-os" option... SLOW again, so its not that i created or burned the bootable media wrong.
    On the other hand, every other boot-cd i tried works like a charm, i have tried paragon, acronis, hiren's boot-cd, wondershare boot "something", and other bootable disk's.
    Now, im back to my trusted and tested Paragon B&R 10 Home SE(free).

p.s. When i tested the restoring of ToDo.. it restored ok, but my pc was sluggish, and SuperAntiSpyware-Pro asked for a license(good for me that i had the license), so i gues the restoring wasn't quite good.

10. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

I agree it is a pain...more so in the corporate world at the server level. Was hoping they'd junk it on Windows 8 but I believe it was there on our early testing. We've gotten rid of it as time (and downtime) allows.

11. I have been using Paragon Backup and Recovery Advanced free for about a year and very pleased with it.

12. pinso

pinso Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestion, i am using YUMI-0.0.2.9, which is may be better than SARDU.
    It made PING bootable from a USB, but i am switching or giving up trying PING , heard a lot of bad stuffs about PING, like it could NUKE your HDD if a user is not careful: i'll switch to Clonezilla from PING, much stable and fast. Although i'll give it PING 3.0 suprisingly has a much better compression ratio than that to Image for DOS. But not at the cost of busting your HDD.

Great tool to have in your pendrive , just to fiddle around i.e., YUMI -0.0.2.9. :)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.