Free, easy to use registry protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by besafe, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. besafe

besafe Registered Member

If my security suite has a soft spot, it is more than likely in registry protection. Is there a freeware that does a good job that doesn't pop up too many alerts or require a great deal of technical computer savvy?

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi,

Have you looked at 'RegDefend', by Ghost perhaps they have a free version?

Take Care
    Rico

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I used it and it would not let Prevx1 to run, I post my querry at the official forum, and no help of any kind came forward. :thumbd:

4. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

RegMon by Diamond CS is a free tool they offer. It has worked fine for me. It logs changes to your registry on execution. It is very basic free & works for me.SSM free also might do the job for you.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: If memory serves me right, SpyBot S&D (antispyware, free)'s teatime may have very good reg protection feature, which may also equipt an option of remembering the same alert, so that you will not get same alert again.

6. besafe

besafe Registered Member

SSM= too complicated for me to use. In fact. most HIPS and even many firewalls are just oo plain complicated with too many alerts.

Regmon and RegDefend: I have thought about trying each of these but have not.

Thansk for the suggestions.

7. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I had looked at their website before and was intrigued. Couple of questions before i downlaod and try it out:

1. Does it give lots of alerts for very normal activities or does it mostly alert you when something bad is happening?

2. Can you tell me what the paid version offers over the free version?

Thank you!

8. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Once you've got it bedded-in (ie created the necessary exceptions via pop-ups) you will get very few alerts indeed when using the 'Standard' rules. The trial version will become 'free' after the trial period, but you will lose the ability to get alerts (it will auto-block) and this is most unsuitable for a novice. So I cannot recommend free RD where simplicity of use is important.

You could have a look at RegWatcher which is free, but I'm not sure about simple!

Edit - I've jist noticed that Registry Watcher is no longer free:-

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=54666&page=21

a very modest charge is being made.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I replace my registry with a clean registry during each reboot. I don't like it, when I have to use an extra software for each problem.

10. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Doesn't both WinPatrol Free and Arovax Shield offer some registry protection?

11. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Very little.Paid version.

Attached Files:

12. ErikAlbert

At first sight Arovax Shield doesn't seem to protect your registry, at least not directly. This software uses too many big words in its description, I hope some knowledgeable people tested this software thoroughly to verify if it works as advertised.

13. LoneWolf

14. ErikAlbert

If you read their website Arovax Shield seems to protect you against any intrusion :D . I really wonder if it is all true. Any facts about this ?

15. LoneWolf

16. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

It has been a while since I used regdefend but I think in the free version you have a choice to either autoblock, or to recieve the alert. It is the ability to block on an individual alert that is missing in the free version. This can be somewhat overcome by using the kill thread option (please correct me if I am wrong, It really has been a while). I found both regdefend and appdefend to be very good programs but decided I had enough protection from other progs I was using. Be aware that you may find the nag screen in the free version to be, well, nagging.

17. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I've used Spybot's teatimer in the past. Seemed to ask about every reg change. I say "seemed" because I don't know if any were changed without it creating an "allow/deny", but every time I installed/uninstalled software, a number of these would occur.

18. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I've never used the free version so I can't confirm, but that sounds right! So you can't create application rules via the pop-up and have to delve into the logs to do it manually. That would be very inconvenient for an inexperienced user, though the auto-blocking function does give good protection.

The trouble with Tea Timer is that it is a 'poller', that is it just looks for changes and then alerts you. The problem is that it could be too late to reverse changes that have already occured. RD (and similar progs) will actually prevent changes before they happen. When you get an alert from RD it is to ask you whether to allow a change; when you get an alert from TT it is to ask you whether to try and reverse a change (though it won't phrase it like that!).

Also the registry protection is more limited in scope and is non-configurable. There is an awful lot happening in the Reg that TT will not be looking out for.

19. steve161

I found that too, and it is easy to add the tony.gr rules to regdefend for more protection.

20. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello BeSafe,

You need to, or I need to 'disable' RegDefend for installs & uninstalls. When your not doing the ...stalls RegDefend is very quiet. My biggest complaint is, I forget to turn it back on. The rule's, are very good, or custom made. Currently I believe I'm using Tony's rule set. This program is very good.

Take Care
    Rico

21. steve161

Y
    Absolutely. But that can be said for most HIPS type apps. And, yes, turning it back on is something I would forget to do occasionally (man, this program is really quiet).

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Winpooch is opensource. The latest version is quite okay (0.6.6).

23. LoneWolf

24. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Changing the topic a hair, but still involving registry protection. I have a question about this that I posted in another one of the forums that isn't getting any attention. I thought this forum might be a better place.

If I don't add any software or .exe to my computer, should the registry stay the same? Is it OK to keep the registry from changing?

The reason I ask is that JV16 Powertools, a program that I use, has a registry monitor function. I can take a snapshot of the registry to the current registry at any time. It will also undo all the changes to the registry since the snapshot was taken if I tell it to.

So is that a safe practice? Every day or once a week to basically restore the snapshot of the registry? Can this cause any harm?

25. DavidGGG

DavidGGG Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.