Free dock for Windows 7?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AlexC, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Is there any free good looking dock for Windows 7?

I'm looking for something that i can place in the botton of the desktop, and being able to put some shortcuts there. Something similar to the mac dock.

Thanks

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I use Rocketdock with no issues on Win 7 X64 even though its not officially supported. It runs fine!

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

5. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Alex,

Jumplist-Laucher meets your requirements, using far less resources than Rocketdock or Objectdock and unlike those two it works from the taskbar without adding a dock to your desktop (as Rocketdock and Objectdock do)!

Homepage: http://en.www.ali.dj/jumplist-launcher/

Mini tutorial: http://www.askvg.com/jumplist-launcher-create-custom-jumplists-in-windows-7/

Discussion with video: http://dottech.org/27269/jumplist-l...m-launcher-that-mimicks-windows-7-jump-lists/

Cruise

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I've installed Rocket Dock and it fits fine :thumb:

7. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

8. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

never heard of this one so i decided to installl. Its amazing, extremely customizable and stable. When i used objectdock it always crashed. Is winstep still under development or is it abandoned like the others.

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

As far as I know Nexus and winstep are still under development. I think Nexus is an amazing dock. recommend it to anyone who want a dock, works great in Windows 8 too. They have a even more advanced shell replacement but thats shareware. I my self have never heard of it before (discovered it back in august last year)

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

What's the matter with lining up your icons in the status bar? I have all my icons there and none on the desktop. You have a choice of large or small. :cool:

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, the Nexus dock is excellent and for those using Windows 8 there's Winstep Extreme which includes a Start Button/Menu replacement.

12. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

That works fine if you don't have too many app shortcuts on your desktop. But for those of us that have quite a few app shortcuts there simply isn't enough room in the taskbar unless you group similar apps within one icon - e.g., Cruise's suggestion (Jumplist-Launcher). In addition to Jumplist-Launcher there's also 7stacks and standalonestack. ;)

TS

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What's the matter with having some cool eye candy that also includes widgets? :)

14. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Hey guys - it's simply a mater of whatever works for you. ;)

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have 17 icons in the task bar. I Think that if you have too many, it creates a toggle switch so you can see the next layer. I agree that if you want eye candy an alternative would be nice. :cool:

16. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

While the above-mentioned (desktop) docks can be functional they are all an imitation of the Mac's desktop and imho they are all 'eye-candy'. Jumplist-Launcher's concept stays within Win7's look & feel, so it is not what I would call 'eye candy'. In any case, if those 17 icons work for you that's all that matters (but from my perspective that many icons in the task bar would be excessive).

Cruise

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I like em there rather than all over the desktop. I think it's neater. :)

18. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

19. niki

niki Registered Member

Not using any free docks but having 3 hidden toolbars with about 10 shortcuts in each. Mainly used for security apps, maintenance etc., nicely grouped together.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I used Object Dock for a while - many good features, but they seemed to be having problems with v2 when it was first released and I switched to Nexus. What's the latest version and how is it working?

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

You can make the taskbar bigger by pulling the edge with your mouse to accommodate even more icons....I like rocketdock personally but i dont use it because i simply dont need it but it certainly spruces up your desktop.:D :D

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Is there one that chimes when you click an icon? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.