Free behavior blocker?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cvette, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Hi folks, I'm in the process of re-working my security setup, and although I have Comodo with D+, I would like some sort of customizable behavior blocker to do the things Comodo can't. I simply do not like ThreatFire, have had bad experiences in the past with it quarantining files without asking (something that really bugs me).

Can anyone recommend a good, customizable, free, behavior blocker for me? :)

2. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Or if you even call what I'm looking for a behavior blocker... I would like something similar to ThreatFire's "If something does (this) or (this) (here) or (there)".

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I think Threatfire is the only free behavior blocker around.

4. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

What "can't" D+ do that you want to do exactlyo_O?

5. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Hi Watasha, well, I liked the way in ThreatFire that you could add rules such as, alert me if a file is placed/modified/executed (here).

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Try Outpost-free (firewall + HIPS). It's somewhat open-ended for rule-setting (but not as open-ended as TF). Also, it's more of a classic HIPS than a behavior blocker. The only other pure behavior blocker AFAIK is Mamutu, but it isn't free.

7. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

Okay. If you're happy with Comodo other than wanting another BB then the Outpost suggestion doesn't apply. D+ isn't actually a BB, it's classical HIPS with a BB aspect. A Behavior Blocker (eg ThreatFire, Mamutu) is not as secure as Classical HIPS, but does a good job, and is more suitable to the novice user.

Policy Restriction HIPS (eg DefenseWall, GesWall) is many times seen as secure as Classical HIPS, yet (most of the time) as easy to use as a BB.

Besides Threatfire (which seemed heavy on my system) and Mamatu (not free) there isn't much more that I know of I'm afraid.

8. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Aww shucks, well thank you very much for the answer. I had a feeling ThreatFire and Mamatu were my only choices, though I'm running x64. I wish DW and GW would come to x64 :(

9. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

10. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

im using threatfire at level 5 sensitivity(just changed it from 4 to 5 yesterday and it gives you a ntofication on every little single thing you do on your computer lol. but once you answer allow this with remember this for that certain app, it doesnt pop up again

11. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

The latest ThreatFire works great. But I'd use it with a simple AV (panda cloud), or with an on-demand scanner (Hitman Pro).

People have problems when running ThreatFire, with an advanced firewall, and an advanced AV. System slowdown and lockup. Almost like having a virus installed yeah?

To me, using ThreatFire on its own is enough. ThreatFire has an advanced feature to alert with connections, and you can remember answers, so it can be setup like a simple firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.