Free backup4all Question (somewhat urgent)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by besafe, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. besafe

besafe Registered Member

My PC just died. Fortunately I backed up yesterday using backup 4 all.

However, I am getting a new PC with a different processor and different OS (going to 64 bit, going to Vista, last PC was 32 bit and XP home).

Should I be able to download the last freeware version of backup4all and restore documents I backed up on the old PC to the new PC? Mostly MS Word documents, some pictures, a MS Access database, etc.

What problems might I encounter?

2. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

That old program might not work on Vista. Maybe someone who uses Vista Can advise you.

3. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Well, even if it won't work on vista. The cool part is that I have my data backed up. This program uses standard zip compression, so I should be able to extract the backups and put them on my new PC using the zip tool that comes with my PC (I hope).

4. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Your Correct that sounds like it would work.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I have two partitions and if I ever buy a new computer :
    1. I wouldn't backup my system partition. I would re-install my new computer from scratch. My new computer will most probably have another Operating System (winVISTA) and then I prefer to install my applications manually.

2. I would backup my data partition of course, but not with an image. I would copy/paste them from my data partition to my external harddisk.
    My data partition contains nothing but folders and files and when I keep them as folders and files on my external harddisk, I can do whatever I want with them and avoid any possible problems with my actual image backup software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.