Free AVs...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SimonCC, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonCC

SimonCC Registered Member

I am racking my brain to find some free AVs, here is what I can come up with:

AntiVir
    Avast
    AVG

Am I missing anything?

The reason I ask is that - and you might have read about this in my other post - I need an AV for my girlfriend's laptop. It needs to be light (its only 600mhz 256 ram) and have an easy to use update facility. I tried f-prot and the interface scared her and I tried dr.web but it kept having installation proplems and so it would not work properly .

So now I am looking for a good free AV until something suitable comes along. I like Antivir but the update facility will not do. I also like Avast but its too much of a resourse hog.

Is there anything else out there - not including AVG!

I would appreciate some advice on this as I am running out of ideas; on my laptop I use KAV, I have lots of CPU power and RAM at my disposal so I have my pick, but its really difficult to find a good light free AV.

o_O

S.

2. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

You will like Avast..It's an excellent free one that is pretty easy on resources.

www.avast.com

3. TAP

TAP Registered Member

When it comes to update facility, avast! Home Edition is the clear winner.

What is your Windows? at least you can choose to install real-time module so-called "Standard Shield" only for saving some amount of RAM.

4. nicM

nicM nico-nico

did you try it, at least ?? :D . I f Avast is really a "ressources hog" with 256, I can't figure out which one could please you...

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

VBA32. SDS909 is a proponent of it, but I don't think it's free. Is NOD out of the question? It is not free either though. CA products like EZ Trust Antivirus is dirt cheap and very simple and extremely light. Sorry to go off topic SimonCC as I know this is about free,but I don't know the title of the other thread to which you are referring in which you posted.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  6. Mucker

Mucker Registered Member

You could try EZ Trust 12 months free available on Microsoft Security site. It updates automatically . EZ seems to run really light.

MUCKER

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

etrust EZ antivirus is very light on resources;)

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Clamwin
    VCatch
    Antidote
    Bitdefender Free

My vote would be between Avast and AVG. 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other.

9. SimonCC

In my other thread I was trying to choose bettween dr.web and f-prot. They were not really suitable. F-prot was not user friendly enough and dr.web kept on causing problems like not letting windows load unless in safe mode.

I guess I will try Avast then, that seems like the choice. I had heard it was resource heavy but I will give it a go anyway now. Its a shame that antivir dont have a decent update utility, if they did, it would be perfect! I am considering buying the new Antivir for her if Avast does not work out, does that have incremental updates, is the update process the same?

Also, regarding vba32, is that not really heavy - a la f-secure style?

Thank you all for your suggestions.

S.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

While I ran it for a short time only, my impression of VBA32 was that it was rather light. I'm sure some of the continuing users will weigh in later. The reason for my own short time exposure was that I am satisfied with my current setup. It does look to be a decent offering.

Blue

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Very light. Particularly as the RTM now has a "Smart-Mode" similar to Dr Web's SpiderGuard.

12. SimonCC

hmm, I think I would like to test it but I do not like the way the demo version does not allow updates and it does not give you access to all of the features.

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Download a BETA version of VBA32 and then use the appropriate key-file.

Then you will be able to update and use all of the features. IME, the beta versions are very stable and will give you a good idea of how the gold release will perform on your computer.

BUT remember that VBA32 is a commercial program.

14. SimonCC

I think I will reserve VBA32 for my own testing. As for my gf's laptop, I will d.l avast and if that is no good I will go back to antivir. Does anyone know if the premium antivir has incremental updates or at least automatic updates?

thanks again all,

S.

15. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) My opinion of AntiVir's server(s) is rather well known. If you can live with that then AntiVir would be the choice as it is very light on resources. I am not sure about their commercial version, but I have heard that even maintaining it can be some what of a hassle. All say AVAST, this one did not get along with some of the other stuff I had on my machine (a desktop) however. It also appeared to slow the response time of my machine noticeably.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: ;) :eek: :D :p

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Avast IS heavier than AVG & AntiVir PE. However, this should not be a major consideration unless you are a gamer &/or your computer has limited ram.

17. minacross

minacross Registered Member

if we considered eTrust promo as a free version, how about it - detection wise - comparing to the free AVs: avast, AVG and AntiVirPEC? o_O :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.