Free AV that can be Disabled?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheMozart, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Can someone please tell me what FREE Anti-Virus program I can install that can be DISABLED?

I need and want to DISABLE the AV when I play online games so my online game doesn't lag and slow down. And when I finished playing the online game, I can then ENABLE the AV again.

2. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

He said FREE, dude.

Smh (shaking my head). I wonder why people don't just suggest what the OP requests. >.>

3. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

avast 6 free and avira 10 free both have this feature, just right click the tray icon and disable for how long you want, and then right click to re-enable

personally i recommend avast as you wont even know if you have disabled avast or not, thats how light it is :)

4. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Panda Cloud does not release any popups and is very light. Unless you get infected or something, you see nothing. No neeed to disable it. ;)

Avast! and AVG have game/silent modes.

ZenOK has no virus/update alert popups at all and is light on the system.

5. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Avira free does not have this feature, only the suite does because of the firewall.

6. treehouse786

just for clarification, he means the 'timed' mode. you can still disable avira manually. right click to toggle on off

7. treehouse786

he is not bothered about gaming modes or the like, he wants to DISABLE the antivirus so it does not scan files in real time. this speeds up load times etc. gaming modes do not decrease load times, they only stop the interrupting of gaming sessions

8. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

A majority of AV solutions can be disabled. A friend of mine has a 2GB W7 netbook running Panda Cloud and he plays all sorts of games on it.

I wonder what his setup was, btw. :) Not every AV is the same. Some are so light you would not know its there, like when playing WoW. WoW = World of Warcraft

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  9. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

You could set an exception for your game folder as well.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

How did he disable Panda Cloud? When I tried that, it always re-enables itself after reboot.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Doesn't ALL AV's do that? IMO it should re-enable itself after reboot, it's normal behavior.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No that's the exception. If I disable an AV, the effect should be permanent until I restore it. Every AV I've tried other than this works like that.
    How did you conclude the normal behaviour part? What AV's have you disabled?

13. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

There are novice users out there that forget they turned off their realtime AV, and we know how inactive icons tend to "disappear" in XP & Vista. In fact, a few on the Comodo forums complained about this. Things like this happen, you know? ;)

Every AV? You sure these AVs did not have 'time clocks' that will re-enable the AV after a given time frame?

14. gery

gery Registered Member

Avast Avira Avg all offer an installation modification (so to say) or custom installation w/o the resident shield. So you decide and it will be just fine.
    Gery

15. skp14

skp14 Registered Member

Definitely Avast and Avira, just right click the tray icons and they both give you the option. I've used both recently and Avast is much lighter, scans files much quicker, starts up better too.

In Avast, right-click the icon, avast shields control, has 4 options. If you're a bit wary of Avast version 6, here's a link to the latest version 5 which worked (works) wonderfully.
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/9090/

Or if you want to use version 6, check this thread for comments and ideas.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=297496

16. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

I think avast! can be disabled permanently.Right click the tray icon and select for "Disable all shields permanently".I am really not sure about it because I have not use Avast! for quite a long time.

17. century

century Registered Member

You are right. I am using Avast & I have just checked it.

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

For example ESET. I disbale it during Windows update.
    And then the restart happens and when I reach the desktop it's enabled again.
    Just the way I like it :thumb:

And the reason that it actually should re-enable itself unless it's a "PERMANENT" disable like the one in Avast. Is that users tend to forget that they did disable their protection playing a game or something else.

19. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

20. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

Comodo has this feature called Game mode, and if that doesnt work for you then you CAN disable the antivirus as well. And its free.

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@WinDefend: Newbies are newbies. Why would they disable it if they want it on?
    Not sure about time clocks, but have never experienced it.
    You haven't answered me about how your friend runs Panda Cloud.

@SweX: Does ESET have a permanent disable? Well Panda Cloud don't seem to.

@jaodsvuda: Yes, although it isn't very good.

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Not that I am aware of :)

23. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

@J_L He leaves Panda Cloud running while he is gaming (sometimes), but when he finishes up and turns off the PC, he forgets to turn PCAV back on...when he remembers to turn the PC off.

Panda remains silent a majority of the time and has only recieved one alert while gaming since I installed it on his netbook last month.

24. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

But isn't Avira better in detecting AV's? I believe Avira beats avast in the rankings and tests?

25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I think avast is the one most recommended and I will get avast.

What is the latest version of avast? 5 or 6?

And avast will not interfer with my online gaming and kick me off the servers through Punkbuster? And avast won't lag the game will it taking up too many resources?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.