Free AV, needed 2 or 1?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aigle, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If you use a free antivirus, do you need two or only one is enough.

2. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

If you have already got one that is doing its job, why bother looking for another....sometimes it is better to stick to what works best for you

3. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I think the best rule is to stick to only one resident real-time monitor of Anti-virus...coz I ask some developers and they said that it might cause some conflicts if two resident real-time scanner were running. Better option should be to use one antivirus w real-time scanning, and then have a back-up/s AV that you can use, that should only scheduled to run manually for an on-demand scanning. :cool:

In my case, I uses Avast Home and I also have BitDefender 8 and ClamWin antivirus. All of them are free.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So if you have two AV, one real time scanner and other only for on-demand,they will not conflict? I guess still they can. I see some AV wil not even install if you have already one AV.

5. Thorny

Thorny Registered Member

I wonder if you would be better off using an online scanner for the on-demand scans, Trend, Bitdefender or F-secure spring to mind for instance? I found that the Trend on-line scanner found several malware infections that were not in the Avast database, although on each occasion I must say that I never noticed any performance problems with my PC.

6. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

One av should be good enough. Make sure you practice safe hex and periodically check your machine with Kaspersky ON-Line Scanner.

tD

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    As you can see I have three anti-virus mentioned above... some even have more. :D The two.. BitDefender 8 and ClamWin has no real-time scanning functions, so they will not conflict in anyway. :cool:

Try installing it again...it happens to me before that I can't install BitDefender 8 and I tried again choosing custom installations and it's a success. :D

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

That's classic overkill.

regards.

paul

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U may be right. I was worried for two, and I wonder sombody is using 3 at a time, difficult to engulf for me atleast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.