Free AV for Windows 7 RC

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Oldjim, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

This is not a which is better question but which works without too many problems.
    Up to now I have only found AVG who say it is supported in the free version

2. L815

L815 Guest

I used Avast without issue, and currently using Kav2009 (not the windows 7 preview) without issue (not free I know, but it works).

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Avast! and Avira AntiVir are probably your best bets. I believe Panda Cloud Antivirus is also on the way. I use Cloud Antivirus right now on the primary anti-malware front as it's proactive as well but still automatic. Completely free and always will be.

4. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

Thanks for the advice - as a first shot I will try KAV as I have a license for KAV expiring Nov 2009 (one advantage of being a beta tester) but if doesn't work I will try the other suggestions.
    One advantage of Acronis on the Vista partition - I can revert to the basic install without too much of a problem

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I can confirm that Avast Home (free) works just fine. I installed AVG Free first, but it seemed to cause some slowdowns. There is also a small compatibility issue with AVG and the new Windows 7 Action Center. Grisoft is aware of it and promises a fix in a future build, but they say it doesn't effect protection.

6. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I can add with others that Avast (free) works flawlessly on Windows 7; that is the only antivirus I've tried to this point.

And although you didn't ask, here are some other applications that have (so far) worked without any problem for me on W7;

Malwarebytes
    CCleaner
    Glary Utilities (free edition)
    CopyWipe (free)
    Sandboxie
    Pop Peeper
    Adobe Reader Lite version 9
    AbiWord
    AnyDVD HD
    CloneDVD 2
    DVDFab Platinum
    DVDFab 5
    DVD 43
    Imgburn
    DVD Shrink
    Nero DiscSpeed
    1ClickDVDCopy 5

Two applications that did not work for whatever reason (they work fine for me on Vista and XP):

1ClickDVDCopy Pro
    WinPatrol

I plan to use W7 exclusively for about a week.
    So far, I like it better than Vista, but need to have more "hands-on" time with it.
    W7 is fast; it loads faster than XP or Vista and offers some nice features, but I really miss the ease of registry hacking as in XP.

7. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

On another thought, I'm pretty sure atleast the newest beta of COMODO Internet Security (v3.9) is working too. Maybe 3xist can confirm this. :)

8. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

Thanks for the extra information.
    I only use a couple of those applications but the one I will be very interested in is Outlook 2003. When I tried it on the beta version for some unknown reason when I opened the existing pst file it wouldn't show any emails less than 12 months old - very odd.
    I refuse to let Adobe programs anywhere near my computer unless I don't have a choice so I will be trying PDF-XChange PDF Viewer which is my normal one on Vista.
    One programme I expect to have problems with is Gimp as it isn't entirely happy on Vista

9. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I've been using Avira on Win7 builds since Jan (both 32 and 64 bit) without any issues. I'm sure others will work as well but its my AV of choice.

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Not exactly an AV but PrevX3 works with Win7

11. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Good news:

NIS 2009 is now available for Windows 7

Code:
    http://www.symantec.com/norton/beta/download.jsp?pvid=win7nis
    Note that you CANNOT access the beta from Norton Beta Center ("No betas available").

Attached Files:

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm running this beta on Windows 7 RC1 x86 at the moment and it's working OK, but there are issues to be aware of. One is the beta cannot be activated with the emailed key. This is known and it can be bypassed by clicking the "Try Later" link on the activation popup. This is a little annoying since it comes up every time you open the GUI and it means the beta will only function for 7 days instead of 14. Hopefully Symantec will release a new build in the next few days to remedy this. The first time LiveUpdate is run there is a fairly big download - about 50 megs - and when it finishes it gives a "failed to install" error. It actually seems to complete successfully though, since subsequent LiveUpdates are very small. Otherwise the program appears to function normally and is feature complete. You even get the Norton Toolbar in IE and Firefox (oh joy!). One thing I really wish they would do is make it possible to export and import the Identity Safe data so I can replicate it across multiple PC's.

13. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

Using Avira 9 Personal here on Windows 7 X64.

:)

14. quanzi_1507

That's strange. They sent me an email with a key and the activation process ran flawlessly.
    Same problem here. It says the definitions is "73 days old", which means ~2 months ago.

Btw, for those who'd find this interesting:

Code:
    http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=windows7
    Pre-release Norton 360 Version 3.0 for Windows 7 is also available :D

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Interesting - do you have version 16.7.0.9? I'm still getting the "no response received from the Symantec server" error. It doesn't get to the point of trying to validate the key.

16. quanzi_1507

Same build here.

Code:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/norton2008.nsf/60420afa0f25e4eb8825734c00278c18/ba4ff4cb3bf57ffe652573580067fd57?OpenDocument
    I found this by googling your error message. Tell me if it works.

17. robinb

robinb Registered Member

add to the good list:
    foxit reader
    irfanview

Avg free slowed it down but Avira 9 free works fine
    robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.