Free AV and firewall

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by meneer, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meneer

meneer Registered Member

This press reportmentions that CA in collaboration with Microsoft are offering free anti-virus and firewall tooling to Windows users. If you looking for a new license, here you go :)

2. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

I've heard that eTrust EZ firewall is ZA's product! So is that the free one or that better one?

Secondly, is that av Inoculate, VET or some other engined one?

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

3. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

i just tried this. the firewall is definately zonealarm. other than that i dont know, cos after rebooting i only got bluescreens despite disabling my other av's and outpost. still got thet bluescreen after uninstalling the firewall so i guess the av is conflicting somehow with my other (disabled) av's - kav and drweb

the ZA version looked like ZA pro to me but i cant say for sure. it had protection against dll injection etc, but im not a za expert so i dont know, but the only difference i couls see between the za i tried some time ago and this was the logo

4. subratam

subratam Registered Member

if you are asking about Ez Armor the latest collaboration of CA and Microsoft for free AV and firewall... i also downloaded that...
    while installing it says you must uninstall any other AV ( in my case NAV) to continue.. otherwise system may crash slow restart etc (just what happened to you tahoma)
    umm if u say that the firewall resembles ZA.. then i think no necessity for this EzArmor atleast at this moment .. cause it conflicts with other security softwares... free AV -> AVG free Firewall -> Kerio2X life happens to be more or less secured...

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

EZ uses the VET engine.

The FW is ZA-PRO...
    http://www.my-etrust.com/products/Firewall.cfm

CA normally sells it for $40. If it's free [& IF you like ZA - which I do not] then it's a great deal.

6. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I just messaged with a guy on another forum who downloaded EZArmor free. He then proceeded to go to go to Kazaa, where he knew he could find infected files to test it.

He says EZ allowed the download of a file infected with a virus and THEN warned him, after the file was downloaded, that there was an infected file on his system. I failed to write down the virus, but he said it was over a one year old virus. Then, he said it couldn't clean the file. He ditched EZ and went back to AVAST which got rid of the virus.

Doesn't EZ stop the the things before they get on the computer? I thought that was what real time monitoring was all about.

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

It depends what was his configuration for RTM. I've tried this av before and it will block, delete or cure infected file.

tECHNODROME

8. subratam

EzArmor.... is going through hard tests .... ;) but as i said... its not worthy to try nou unless u know how to operate it... cause it dont run along with other AVs and u hav to uninstall other b4 install Ez(as it said to me)
    i hav the installer .exe with me if anyone wants i can send ...
    good luck

9. Firefighter

To everyone from Firefighter!

Is it possible to install only the firewall or something like with McAfee VirusScan Pro's, when I disabled the av after installation and reinstalled my favourite av back too?

Btw, how much did M$ pay to CA that they made this happen? It seems to me that M$ is quite desperate just now!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

10. subratam

fire can u tell me what security softwares u currently use any firewall u use??

11. Chuck57

Well, Firefighter, the antivirus and the firewall are in separate folders in the program, leading me to believe it might be possible to remove the AV and keep the firewall. I'm tempted to try it and load McAfee V7. I think the EZ firewall (ZA Pro) is probably a better firewall than McAfee's.

As for Microsoft being desperate. It's about time. Apple has made some serious inroads in the past year with their OSX

12. subratam

if Ez is ZA pro why dont you download the latest from zonelabs check out the update forum latest pro 4 has is out... ZA is application based firewall .but if you know your rules (Blitz firewall guru in wilders said to me) try kerio 2X i have that now.. i had ZA but uninstalled it... as i got the advice not good to keep two firewalls in same machine running at same time

13. Chuck57

Well, subratam, it's definitely ZoneAlarm. I checked in the program and everything there is ZA. I don't know if CA has any proprietary things included, other than the GUI though. It's ZA 3.7.179, which is an older version but still good as far as I know.

I'm just hesitant to mess around with any of it. I'm on a dialup and downloading takes about half an hour if I screw things up.

14. subratam

chuck ,
    what security softwares you have rite nou?? you have any firewall right now??
    and specially if you have dial up u surely need a good firewall... i hope you have one already...
    ZA pro version 4 has got some really good features like cache cleaner, popup blocker etc... with others... i wanted to keep it but for kerio2X (which i updated from tiny firewall and had been in my pc from first..) and my affected network... which relays ping packets...

15. subratam

i read in one post EzArmor from CA+Microsoft have been released with AV and firewall in one
    i went to the site read revies.. i felt its nice and downloaded it... when i am goin to install it says u hav NAV and so i have to uninstall it before installing Ez as they recommend 2 AVS can cause crash...
    1. i hav in my comp AVG and NAV, trojan hunter, trojan remover, TDS-3, spybot, spywareblaster, adaware, GFI languard... in short i dont fill my comp with junks but security softwares like this are present... p4 2.4 with 256 DDR ram... 40 gb.. and i dun install games or any junk softwares.. i hav norton crashguard.. i saw some here and also read that today to b secured u cant be with one or two specific security softwares.. what you say?
    2. How is EzArmor in comparison to NAV??

16. Chuck57

subratam, right now I've got the EZ firewall and EZ antivirus, since I had to remove my other. I like the firewall. It's fully stealthed in the five places I use to check firewalls, so that isn't a problem.

I'm considering trying to remove the antivirus and going back to either McAfee or AntiVir PE, since I've used both and both do well. I don't hang out in gaming sites, Kazaa, or anyplace where you're apt to pick up a virus. Hopefully, the firewall will keep running after a get rid of the AV

17. subratam

you just wanted to check Ez right ... thats why you went for EzArmor... as you say you like Mcafee and you want it back... i cant say whether you can get firewall after uninstalling EZ AV ...dont forget to read the uninstall procedure i think i read firewall is integrated part... i am not 100% sure though... one more question ... dont you have any AntiTrojano_O

18. Chuck57

I was curious about EZ.....I like checking out various types of software.

I downloaded a trial antitrojan software a week or so ago. This box is clean. I don't normally run antitrojan software.

19. notageek

notageek Registered Member

LOL well with the problems I'm having with McAfee I might just try this EZ AV. :)

20. Chuck57

I never had any problem at all with McAfee v7. The firewall was probably okay. My wife has it on her system now and no trouble there either, and she likes it. I just didn't like McAfee's firewall, so I went looking at others.

Typically, I'll fool with av and firewall for a few months, get tired of it, and go looking for something else. McAfee, I kept until ETrust Promo came out and switched to that. I've been through almost every firewall on the market. I think I'm addicted to testing firewalls. Someday, I'll figure out what I'm doing.

I liked McAfee. It worked well on my system. I've got a 1.2G Athlon, 512RAM, generic computer. It was built by a guy up the road. My wife's machine is 900 Athlon with 384 RAM also generic from the same guy.

21. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I never had any trouble with mcafee 7.0 either, But I just installed eztrust av and firewall. wouldn't let me install with mcafee on my comp. But it ignored bitdefender 7.0 free.they seem to like each other. Just an initial opinion about eztrust it is running well on my xpsp1. Scans pretty darn fast to.if it keeps working as well as it is now I will probably keep it .It is most definattly za pro firewall but it is working well also..

- removed unnecessary attachment.

22. Chuck57

Hey, bigc, the EZ version of ZA is 3.7 something. Any idea whether it could be upgraded to the new 4.5 with the EZ license? Most of the thing is ZA, and they don't try to hide the fact in the program files.

By the way, the worm that I mentioned the guy getting with EZ av was the W32.Sddrop (wrm)

23. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I really kind of doubt if you could update it to the new version. this one is 3.7.179. When you install this program you have the option to install the firewall and privacy modual. Or you could install the firewall without the av. It just has check boxes bye the items to install. :)

- removed unnecessary attachment.

24. Firefighter

To Subratam from Firefighter!

If u asked my firewall and av:s, they are Outpost v2 Pro firewall and eXtendia AVK Pro resident av and eTrust v.7.0.142 backup av plus TrrojanHunter 3.7. Sometimes when I know that there is less risk to get infected, I'm gonna use eTrust v7 Inoculate engine as my resident av (= when my kids are not using my PC).

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

25. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

EZ Firewall is very good . The only tests I have read about it are http://www.pcflank.com/art41c.htm where EZ was amongst the top 3.
    Its desktop protection is now included in the firewall which has cookie control and Ad blocking as well as mobile code control and email protection .
    I run EZ Firewall with e Trust v7 promo ( InoculateIT and Vet engines ) and it hums along .
    This package is an excellent free combo that is great for those who may not wish to purchase or cannot for what ever reason but need excellent protection..
    It would be interesting to see if you take out the anti virus in this combo and add to it e Trust promo and see if it still works.
    Anyways I just want to say how happy I am with EZ Firewall and also e Trust anti virus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.