Free Antiviruses that don't require to put email or create accounts

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tekkaman, Feb 13, 2021.

1. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Hello,
    I want to know which AV don't require email or create accounts. And that don't bother you to renew each year. The ones I tested so far:
    1- Inmunet - It seems to be buggy as hell. I mean it detects eicar but it doesn't show the users connected as s supposed to. And couldn't download definitions.
    2- 360 Total security - It installs and appears to be running but it doesn't detect Eicar for some reason.

2. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

I installed Kaspersky Secure Cloud on grandma's pc, did not require account I think

3. Floyd 57

4. tekkaman

Sadly it does require it. It's called My Kaspersky.

5. Floyd 57

You can create email easily here https://temp-mail.org/

6. tekkaman

That certainly is useful. Do you know how Kaspersky renews itself? I installed it on a laptop yesterday but I'm not sure how is the process

7. Floyd 57

I think if you have the free version you can keep using it, not sure what you mean renew, since the license is free

8. tekkaman

See the picture:
    Untitled.png
    It shows that when you click the work "Active" to the right corner where your email is

9. Floyd 57

Well in a year there will be kaspersky 2022 and you will have to reinstall anyway

10. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Comodo AV doesn't require account and its sandbox is highly efficient.
    Has a bit of a learning curve though but the forums are very active.

11. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

When the free version license ends it automatically renews without you needing to do anything.

In fact if you are using a pro version of Kaspersky and its license expires without you renewing, it automatically reverts to the free version so you aren't left without any AV protection.

12. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I didn't know about this automatic downgrade. That's good to know. Thnx.

13. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

https://support.kaspersky.com/KSCloud/iOS2.0_MR6_update7/en-US/161671.htm
    Yeah, I'm trying to find that info now. I read it the other day when I was checking things out.
    https://support.kaspersky.com/KSCloud/Win4.2/en-US/70647.htm

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It does detect it if you scan it. It doesn't detect it when downloaded or executed, which is not a problem as it's not a valid exe file and can't run.

15. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  16. Floyd 57

Cruelsister recommends Comodo Firewall as set and forget, she has a youtube channel and you can see her settings there. It should also be lighter than Kaspersky due to not scanning everything, although it does check when a process is launched if it should be contained, but once it is launched it's good, so it should be faster

17. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I just download and run '' Dr.Web Cure it '' once a month or so. No need for a resident AV here.

18. tekkaman

That´s good to know. However testing an AV with eicar is the easiest way to know realtime protection is working. They should fix that. Besides I think in the past it used to detect it. I don´t know what went wrong.

Itś good to know Kaspersky renews automatically as I was looking for a set and forget approach as it is not for my own computer but for some of my clients.

A few years ago I would install comodo av solo on some computers. It was a little heavy on resources and on some computers there were glitches on the interface. Like text missing sometimes really weird.

Anhlab sounds good.

So far for my current client I´ll leave Kasperky on. I´ll test Ahnlab and Comodo again later on virtual machine.

19. Floyd 57

With Comodo, any unrecognized file (executable?), I assume in the Comodo database, will be Sandboxed with Restricted permissions essentially unable to do anything. But, lots of people use Comodo, I think (not home users, enterprise). And so do Kaspersky. And since CS is using comodo, she must not have problems with false positives. Or maybe she does, maybe she toggles it off when she wants to run something trusted (Appguard style). But what I do know is that both are great. But I think comodo should be faster. Still, I think you should test both. I think both are great choices. And Comod is free, while the full functionality of Kaspersky, you need at least KIS (Kaspersky Internet Security) to get.

20. Floyd 57

I do not think Kaspersky Security Cloud Free (the free version of Kaspersky) has Application Control (can always google to check). With Application Control, you can make any unrecognized file (exetucable?) execute with restrictions on its permissions, which you can set manually, just like you can with Comodo. Check the MT thread for more info. The difference is though, Comodo also has a sandbox, while kaspersky has many other things, including an AV that will scan every single thing and slowdown/add delay to pc.

21. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Comodo firewall and WiseVector StopX is a pretty solid combination. Both free, and neither requires any personal information.

22. Floyd 57

Why WiseVector?

23. tekkaman

I never heard of WiseVentor. It looks interesting. It seems to be a behavior blocker. The thing is I´m just the type of set an forget. I don´t really want clients to be confused and then keep calling me.

I have tried Comodo in the past. Last time I think it was on 2017. I installed it in a computer lab for a school. At that time it was heavy. And for some reason on some computers the interface had graphical glitches. Missing text. And well the AV alone heaver and not that great. Comodo usually needs Defense+ or whatever they call their hips nowadays. And Hips is not set and forget. Hips is either client select all questions yes or no. Or maybe call you bother you each time. Either way at that time I did leave it with just the Comodo AV. I made sure it detected Eicar at least. I know people might think I´m crazy for installing a free AV for a school. But they didn´t want to pay for AV. Comodo at the time was the only one that you could install free on a business.

Nowadays I just deal with laptops people bring me from time to time and I just want the easiest approach for the client.

I tested a few these days. So far Kasperky fits the bill. I wish I didn´t had to put an email on it. But oh well.

24. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Nowadays it's the Sandbox module, not the HIPS, and it's much easier to use.
    The AV is reasonable. Paired with the Sandbox it's bullet proof. It's also very light.

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.