Free Anti Virus?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Decapad, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hello. I've been using (free) Avast anti virus for years on all of my pc's. Unfortunately on my newest pc Avast will not update for some reason. Are there any other decent free anti virus programs I can use instead? Thanks v much for your help! :) Deca

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Avira:argh:

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=236388

Be Convinced and Throughly Protected!

EASTER :thumb:

4. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Excellent advice rookieman, thanks for suggesting that for him and covering my oversight.

AV's are deeply embedded and it can be a rough chore to pull out all it's supporting componants be they many that they are. Thats why a special uninstaller is a big help.

You want a clean and clear fresh install of AVIRA and you're in business.

EASTER

6. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I have been using AVG FREE for a couple years now with no problems. It seems to do a good job. Usually I am able to find every problem that exists just through my bad luck.

7. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

8. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

The only time I have had this trouble using Avast, was when my Grandchildren downloaded a "scam" anti-virus" program (it was quite some time ago I forget the name of this program now). This rendered all my anti spyware and anti-virus software useless. I even had trouble trying to do a search on google using the words anti-virus or spy ware, I couldn't uninstall Avast to reinstall it. ( I noticed a different file in the folder that Avast was resident in compared to my other computer) I checked my computer with "Hijackthis" and found the culprit and with the help from the hijackthis site managed to get rid of it.
    I hope this is not your problem. Let us know how you make out with a different anti-virus.
    I now use True Image for fixing a particularly bad virus/scamware by simply restoring to a earlier date.

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I've moved this thread from "Software & Services" to "other anti-virus software" in case you did not realize that there are many existing topics here on the merits of all the free anti-virus solutions.

Most every free AV product has its supporters here, so, most would ultimately be recommended in replies. Therefore, it's better to read through this section thoroughly to see how the various products have performed over time, and then try a couple of them for yourself. This is the best advice since, as you saw, one of the popular free AV choices, often mentioned in this section, does not work properly on your system. No one else can tell you for certain what will work on your PC.

Thread closed per: Policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.