Fport.exe & TCPvcon.exe help

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hjbyram, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

I downloaded Fport.exe & also TCPView.exe/TCPVcon.exe.

However, the only one I can get to work is TCPView, which gave me a nice report. I am trying to identify some ports showing up in my firewall log, & thought these tools would help.

I apparently have to do something I am not doing - I thought I could just execute the .exe software from the downloaded, unzipped folder? I see something flash by, but it's gone & I don't get a report.

Any help in how to execute these would be appreciated - new user to all of this & also not very experienced obviously.

THANKS

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In regards to fport....there are a number of ways to accomplish this but I'll list my preferred method.

1) Copy fport.exe to your System32 folder

2) Create a batch file with the below contents and name it whatever you wish(launch.bat for example)....and place that file in a folder of your choice.

Code:
    fport > fport.txt
    notepad.exe fport.txt 
    3) You can either go to where launch.bat is located and select it or place a short-cut on your desktop to that file.

When you execute the above batch file it should open fport in a cmd box with notepad overlayed and the fport info.

Bubba

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I think 'netstat -an' in the cmd box does the same , or am i wrong?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

netstat will give port\protocol.

fport will give port\protocol\pid\process

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

There is a other nice freeware utility for that purpose out there called CurrPorts.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
    There are by the way alot of nice Freeware tools available on this page.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  6. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

Thank you, Bubba, I got the fport to work following your instructions - at last I know what some of these ports are being used for.

And thank you, Tommy - I copied down & used the CurrPorts also. VERY interesting & should help resolve some things.

Thanks everyone - this is exactly what I have been looking for, though I may be back asking additional questions on some of these items.

THANKS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.