foxit v5 now up for download caution though

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

whats wierd is im not sure how it determines to install the toolbar or not. it seems to do it whenever it feels like it. on 2 systems it skipped right over it and didnt even have the checkboxes at all. and didnt install any toolbar.

then i tried to install it on 2 other systems and just stopped the install because it would show the toolbar page and of course there is no opt out for the ask bar when it does. not sure what it going on with it.

2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

:thumb:

3. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I think it depends on OS and 32bit or 64 bit. I haven't tried Foxit and now never;)

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I asked at another forum I haunt and one user said they had no opt-out warning at all (and got the Toolbar)... Another had a very confusing opt-out page that was geared to confuse anyone that didn't spend a while reading the page (IOW, if you weren't very careful, you got the Toolbar!)

I understand Ask's shady methods (they are well known) but come on Foxit, shame on you for descending into the basement with Ask!

I need to make a living like anyone else and so does Foxit. But I don't use quasi-deceptive practices to do it!!

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Just tried it in a VM, it did offer the toolbar as opt-out, but not so shady(just uncheck everything and click next.) It has a nice new fresh look, but the advertisement is no longer optional and it wants you to register, only offering a Yes and Not now option, not a Not ever option..
    On offering the toolbar or not, I don't think it depends on whether it is a fresh install or not, as I did an upgrade(even from within Foxit reader) then it launched the v5 installer and it needed to remove v4 first(not automatically, just launched v4 uninstaller.) After that the installation of v5 could proceed. Perhaps it's just a bug, I remember something like this with the toolbar installing even though users told it not too, I'm pretty sure that was with foxit reader.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think you are right. When Tracker accidentally installed the Ask Toolbar on PDF-XC it only seemed to affect 32 bit systems.

My advice is to go with PDF-XC or Sumatra. I never really liked Foxit anyway, it didn't seem too happy on a 64 bit OS. PDF-XC has a 64 bit version.

7. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Ver 5 mark my good bye to foxit, and my welcome to pdf-xchange viewer

8. Oh well, what are you going to do? I'm going back to PDF-XChange Viewer.

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thank you for the heads up. Well after all these years of using Foxit, its time to say goodbye.

It was a nice run, but doing something like this is just not right.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Thanks to recommendations in this thread, I have installed SumatraPDF. Also added it to EMET, working well. Foxit uninstalled. :thumb:

11. zfactor

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  12. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Foxit doesn't publish that link for public download...

downloaded the installer today... Option available to NOT install toolbar...

Attached Files:

13. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I don't think it installed the ask toolbar, I do have a rectangle shaped space but it is tan, no option with checkboxs.

14. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

I've always used Foxit's stand-alone (portable) Foxit Reader.exe but I couldn't find it for v5. I fired off an inquiry to their support:

"Currently we do not have ... our Foxit Reader 5.0 ... as a portable version, our developers are looking into it and we have no specific time of release."

Oh well, let's see what JTH might whip up over at portable apps. Otherwise maybe no more portable Foxit Reader. :'(

The last release of the previous version is 4.3.1.0323.

BTW, my email to their support was answered in less than 3 hours. :thumb:

15. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I've used an old version of foxit for YEARS,no issues or toolbars :thumb:

16. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just updated one of my Windows XP Pro SP3 PC's to version 5 using the "check for updates" in version 4.x and after the update I also found that all of my Desktop icons were rearranged and moved to the left side of the Desktop. Strange!

The options screen shown in Post #37, above, was shown during the version 5 installation. I unselected the three (3) options shown.

Foxit Reader version 5 "seems" to be working properly.

17. zfactor

i updated all of my systems to v5 but i used the msi installer. no worries that way about the toolbar. its working very well. i also excluded the windows explorer option so no preview icons i dont need them

18. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

How much real estate does Foxit 5 use installed? The whole reason I switched from Adobe to Foxit was because Foxit was lean. I see now the installer is up to 14MB. I wouldn't mind having the new version but if it's too big I'll just stick with what I have. Anyone know?

Also zfactor, or anyone who has used the msi installer, did you have to uninstall 4 first?

Thanks. :)

19. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Meh I rarely use PDFs. I have them open in Chrome when I use them. It's definitely not as functional as Adobe's PDF reader but it's far more secure.

20. allizomeniz

Found an article at ghacks that says twice the amount of hard drive space as version 4, so approximately 22MB. I'm gonna stick with what I've got. Looks like the trend is toward bloat and there's nothing in 5 I can't live without.

I do like PDF-XChange, but they've got a nag button on the interface you can't get rid of. I might get used to it eventually but they shouldn't say it's free when it's not. It's a device to try and get you to buy the commercial version. Too bad.

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It is free, and works without limits (other than Pro features). Do you think every program with an ad isn't free?

22. DBone

DBone Registered Member

23. allizomeniz

To me free means without strings. When you have a nag button right on the main interface (one you can't hide) prodding you to buy, that's a string. It obviously doesn't bother some people but for me, in this case, it's a deal breaker. Sometimes I'll put up with ads in freeware if the software's worth it, but Foxit is just as good for what I need. So everything else being equal, the ad tips the scale in favor of Foxit. But I will say in its favor, PDF-XChange doesn't have watermarks.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I find automatically installed adware more of a string than a nag button.

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.