Foxit & Updates?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Does anyone use the Foxit PDF Reader, if so do you know about its update cycles?

In the 'Help' menu there are the options Check for Updates Now & Install Updates.

I have looked at the 'Check for Updates Now' & have noticed the Basic & Service modules.

I don't know if any of these are relevant to me (Win 7 64 bit) & as the reader is working perfectly well, do I really need to update anything?

Secondly, if I click on the 'Install Updates' option will it just install all of them anyway?

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

With install updates you can manually install an update file you have saved on your PC. Check for updates shows all kinds of updates, including a lot of separate modules, if there is a new version of the program itself it will be shown at the bottom of the list including version number. The latest Foxit Reader is version 4.2. If you don't have the latest one I would update, as the updates frequently have fixed security vulnerabilities and 4.2 now also supports DEP(Data Execution Prevention) and ASLR(Address Space Layout Randomization) for improved security.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Here's more on the new features that are in the latest update that was released on 9/29/10 in Foxit 4.2.0.928:

* Verify the digital signature

Foxit Reader 4.2 now features a PDF digital signature verification technology which uses an enhanced, yet ISO 32000 compliant, verification process that ensures the signature is real and neither the document nor the signature have been compromised. This new verification process provides a secure and reliable platform for exchanging electronics documents without putting the user at risk from falsified documents.

* Enhance security with ASLR & DEP support

Foxit Reader 4.2 continues to add features that increase security by making it harder for hackers to compromise a PDF document. The current version of the reader includes Address Space Layout Randomization, ASLR, which uses a random algorithm to determine a memory address used to store key file data. A second security feature is Data Execution Prevention, DEP, which simply prevents executing code from a non-executable memory location. ASLR and DEP combine to highly improve Foxit Reader Security and provide a stable platform for enterprise, business and consumer, Foxit Reader users.

http://tweakers.net/meuktracker/24111/foxit-reader-420-build-0928.html

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK guys, thanks for the info. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.