Foxit Reader really does all the functions of Adobe?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I was wondering if Foxit Reader can really does all of the Adobe reader functions and if it's really compatible to all Adobe files. :rolleyes:

Adobe reader 7 really slows down and freezes up my pc when I am reading pdf when surfing the net. Is there anything should I do first before I uninstall Adobe Reader 7 and install Foxit Reader? o_O

How about those save file in Adobe Reader in my hard drive...will it be okay and will it function the same with Foxit Reader? :rolleyes: :cautious: o_O

In your personal experience, what's the pros and cons of using Foxit Reader? Is this compatible w Firefox? :cautious:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Re: Foxit Reader really does all the funtions of Adobe?

Foxit Reader still doesn't rending pdf's so well like Adobe Reader, so I use AR with the Adobe Reader Speed-Up... ;)

3. sweater

Oh my...:eek: thanks for the quick reply, coz I'm already planning to uninstall my Adobe Reader 7 program and to replace it with Foxit Reader. And with your comment to it, then, I will not install it as of now and I'll just downlod the speeder you mentioned. ;)

But the file was so small, is this different to the one I saw in this picture attach with bigger size? o_O Did they function the same or it differs much? o_O

Attached Files:

• pdf.jpg
      pdf.jpg
      File size:
      26.8 KB
      Views:
  4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Remember that this is only my opinion... ;)

You can install FR and see if it's ok to you...

5. sweater

Vampiric Crow...Please see my edited questions above w picture...thanks.;)

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Foxit is perfect for me as i barely use PDF and i love it's small size. I have never had a problem with it rendering so far. ;) :D

snowbound

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

With the one that I suggest, you have more options...

But you can try them and see what you like more... ;)

8. sweater

Oks...and again thanks. :cool: ;)

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have recently installed foxit and only thing i do is to read online PDF documents etc. I have acrobat also. I felt that foxit is faster but Acrobat,s words are more clear and good looking than foxit. Rest I don,t know.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just I remeber now why I installed foxit. I felt many times I opened some PDF document online and when without closing it I tried to shut down my PC, I received the message " Adobe Acrobat is not responding" and I have to press End Now option. I was thinking to uninstall and reinstall Acrobat to see if it solves the issue when I read about foxit on PC word, so I installed it, and it is now default one, with Acrobat still there.

11. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

Don't forget older versions of Adobe are still available. Version 5.0.5 is a third of the download size, probably runs faster, with less bloat.

But I'm in the Foxit camp not needing to use a PDF reader often.

Foxit Reader doesn't even install on your system, just associate Foxit to your PDF files.

HTH

12. sweater

Actually, one thing that made me hesitates to uninstalls Adobe Reader 7 was that I also have Adobe Photo Shop and Adobe Image Ready. I was worried that if I removed Adobe Reader that it might be possibly affected coz their directory folder is just in one place. :oops:

Adobe Reader looks nice and the image is clear, I am just hoping to have some software or the software program I downloaded can help make their performance improved with less ram and cpu consumations. :cautious:

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So sweater did you find any difference after installing the spped up software and which one you installed.

14. sweater

I am still surfing, and have just downloaded it an hour or more ago, pls don't be too fast, haven't installed yet anything to speed-up my Adobe Reader. Maybe, I'll just tell ya here after several days of testing. :D ;)

15. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I'd cast a vote for Foxit also - I used Acrobat 5.05 and found Foxit 4-5 times faster at scrolling graphics-heavy pages and I've never noticed any rendering issues. Adobe should be hanging their heads in shame at being out-performed in this way.

The only irritation with Foxit is the advertising in the top-right of the window (yes, its small and can be disabled via View/Advertisement until you restart Foxit) but I did find a way to disable it permanently via their Registry settings:
    • Use RegEdit (or another Registry editor) to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\MainFrame;
    • Set the ShowEditorAd_908, ShowPOAd_908, ShowReaderAd_908, ShowSDKAd_908 and ShowTypeWriteAd_908 keys to 0;
    • Set AdvertiseIndex to 9.
    Since these are "per-user" settings, they will need to be done for each user you use. However it does appear to work in my case.

16. sweater

One question...can we use two pdf reader in our pc? Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader in one pc? o_O

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes...

18. sweater

Really? o_O

It will not conflict one way or the other...:cautious: :rolleyes: are you sure? o_O

Coz...I was thinking this was just like having two anti-virus both have running their real-time resident monitors...:rolleyes: :blink:

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You will not have any problem, because only one can be the default viewer of PDF's, so you just have to decide which will be... ;)

20. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have Foxit as I only need to read pdf files. Adobe was so slow at opening I removed it completely.

I note there is an update to Foxit do I just run this and it will update the version I have?
    The one I have is working for me but wondered about the way to update if I need to.

21. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Anti-virus resident monitors and firewalls are a special case. Generally, having multiple programs to do a particular job poses no problem (e.g. multiple web browsers, word processors, image viewers), the only issue is that only one can be set up as a default for when you double-click on a file within Windows Explorer.

One (and only) downside of Foxit is that it cannot be used "within" a browser to view a PDF - you have to download the file first then view it. I consider that a small price for getting shot of Adobe's bloatware though - and 5.05 is bloated even if of supermodel proportions compared to their later versions.

22. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well foxit comes in two versions, a zipped executable and a setup file.

if u previously used the setup, u can just install it over.

if u previously used the executable just download it again and overwrite the executable.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Really!!! I just came to know it first time, and also checked it, you are right. so I can,t uninstall Acrobat. It,s a big drawback for me and I am really disappointed as I mentioned above my main problenm with Acrobat was while I use it online, otherwise I have nothing much to do with PDF documents.

I will try speed up patch told by Vampiric. Is there any other way around?

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It was trying to updating many times on my notebook and was not able to do so. Also pretty big updates( it,s not an AV, why so big updates). So I disabled it,s autolaoding on start up and stopped all updates, Why to update BTW?

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Not only foxit but Acrobat is also showing this type of Ads on my system!! Am I right?
    BTW, I did not felt it annoying, it,s very smal, good looking, and placed well, far from main window, without any distraction for me.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.