Found your Rootkit yet ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by StevieO, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

How would/do you really truly know if you have a rootkit, or similar stealthy very smart nasty hiding your PC ?

Apart from trusting your AV/AT etc to be on the ball, and Hopefully detecting it, what measures/procedures etc do you take, and/or have ever taken or would you to look for any.

So i'm not talking about any proactive etc Apps you have, that might hopefully block the install etc, so you presume that you would have been or would be alerted.

We all take it more or less for granted that, because our security software gives us the green light, everything is A OK.

StevieO

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have Proccess Guard to block any atempts at Planting a rootkit I use blacklight. I trust it knows the difference between a legitimate (good) rootkit and a Bad one.

3. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

You don't.

We all take it more or less for granted that, because our security precautions and procedures give us the green light, everything is A OK.

What else is there?

4. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

DA

"You don't."

Oh great, thanks a lot DA, that really is good news, and sooooooo very reassuring to know that i havn't got any rootkits in my PC ! Not that i was at all worried or scared etc, but anyways, yeah nice one thanks again.

"What else is there?"

Well i thought you might know the answer/s to that, even if nobody else does !

StevieO

5. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

You never 'truly know for sure' (which was your question), that's obvious. The closest you get is to load up on another clean OS and check. And even then maybe you are 99.999% sure. So you never 'truly' know.

scary huh? not really if you keep a sense of proportion.

Logic. My point is even if you run AV, AT, all the rootkit scanners in the world, check system intergrity etc etc, if they give you a clean bill of health, that's what you rely on. What else is there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.