found a spyfader! NEED HELP ASAP!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by mark lee, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark lee

mark lee Guest

hi,

found spyfader in my windows task manager, would show up for a could of secs, did a google on it and its a virus/trojan. Would appreciate if someone could tell me how to clean it out, and what does it exactly do...more info would help, but cleaning it out is first priority.

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey Mark...Welcome to Wilders!

Have you tried scanning anything? Anti-Virus/Anti-Trojan/Anti-Spyware?
    What Anti-Virus are you running?

I hope this helps:

First, Check to see if it is listed in your registry to start up with windows:
    1. Start | Run | type "regedit" and hit enter
    2. Browse registry to key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
    to see if it is listed in there. If it is delete it.
    **Use caution when editing the registry, you could wipe out your system if used incorrectly**

Next, Scan your system with a few clean-up tools:
    Anti-Spyware:
    Spybot S&D
    Ad-Aware
    SpywareBlaster (not a scanner, but a prevention tool)
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta (2000/XP Only)
    Anti-Trojan:
    A2
    Ewido

Good Luck and let us know how you go :)

3. mike lee

mike lee Guest

scanned with av/at/antispware and check the reg wasn't able to find it, what is this actually?

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

What all did you scan with?

Finding information on this trojan is not that easy for some reason. It seems as though quite a few people have found it, but nobody has really found what it does or how to remove it. It starts up with Windows and then removes itself from the process list after 3 seconds.

5. mike lee

mike lee Guest

kav, GFI online (use a2), microsoft AS.... yah found similar info as u on google, which was kinda unhelpful in trying to remove it... =( btw thanks for the fast response capp

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

It sounds like you are on the right track, as far as trying to clean it.

I will keep looking and update you if I find out anything else about it.

Always Glad to help :D

7. DHC

DHC Guest

spyfader

Spyfader is a program run by a piece of hardware attached to the back of your PC (Key Ghost is the company) - check for something connecting your mouse to your PC

8. DHC

DHC Guest

also - could be where the connection from the keyboard to the PC is

9. jvillesmyrl

jvillesmyrl Registered Member

I purchased a replacement mouse in April and have had toruble ever since but did not associate it with the mouse. Forty eight hours ago attempted to shut down FrontPage and could not. Brought up task manager and got a peep at spyfader. Friend referenced this forum and this thread. Sure enough on back of my machine I found what I though was a USP port extension. Removed it and mouse and keyboard are oh so much more responsive but just saw spyfader show up on taskmanager again. Is there something else I should do besides remove device?

Why is there so little information online about this program?

SS

10. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Good lead DHC. Other's in this thread will be more productive Googling - keyghost hardware.

GF

11. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to bust in on your thread, but I'm amazed at something like this. May I ask, how did the piece of hardware get on the back of the pc?

Rilla927

12. jvillesmyrl

jvillesmyrl Registered Member

I had my mouse to die in a rural East Texas community. Ran to Walmart and purchased a mouse. Mouse came with what appeard to be a USB extension cord which I plugged in and attached mouse to extension. Thought it was a good way to keep up with the extension.

Machine much more responsive without extension attached but I am still seeing SpyFader show up on Task Manager from time to time. Particularly when I use FrontPage. I still have not found any info other than the post above that tells me anything about SpyFader. Others have found it as well but as yet no further info than what is shown in this thread.

Shannon

13. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Shannon,

is this a well known manufacturer? I will help in the search for information. Hang in there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.