Forum Search Box - Header Bar

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by John Bull, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I think I asked this question just after I joined the Forum, but cannot remember what the reply was.

Question :-
    When I enter a keyword/words in the Search box and select say Threads, then click GO, I expect to see every item listed with the keyword/words in it. Not so, I get just about everything in Wilders coming out, completely unrelated to my search.

E.g - If I enter SANDBOXIE, select Threads and hit GO, it makes no sense. A list of miscellaneous threads come up, nothing whatever to do with Sandboxie, just a random list.

This makes it impossible to do any homework by referring to previous threads, either to just read them or prior to entering a new one and makes the risk of duplication a certainty.

In all the above I assume that the search only looks for the keyword/words in the thread TITLE and not the entire collection of posts. That would be useless, but surely that is exactly what is happening, otherwise I see no logic in it.

Puzzled ?

John Bull

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

A little bit because when I search on the same word it doesn't return random threads

3. John Bull

My dear Cudni, if your search comes up with a list of all Sandboxie threads, then I do not understand it at all because all I get is a list of random threads.
    It is useless, hence my post.

John

See :-
    Search Wilders.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

this what it looks on my useful search

Attached Files:

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Those appear to be the same search results, and the correct ones. The only difference is that Cudni's was done a couple minutes later and the "CIS V5 public beta" thread had been bumped (replied to) in between, so it was top in his results.

All of those threads have the word "sandboxie" in some/any post within the thread. That's what that type of search is supposed to return for results. (Selecting the "Show Threads" pip only controls how the results are displayed... "Show Threads" for a list of threads containing the search terms; "Show Posts" to display a text view of the actual posts that contain the search terms.)

If you only want threads that have the word "sandboxie" in the title, use the Advanced Search page and specify "Search Titles Only" under Keywords.

6. John Bull

As always Mike, the perfect Master of Ceremonies with a perfect reply.
    Actually my post and Cudni`s reply enabled me to tumble it.
    The search is picking up every mention of Sandboxie in all the collective threads. It is in fact searching Posts within all threads.

Not at all useful for the purpose I described. For instance many threads have many posts - the Hitman thread has over 2,000 posts. To list that thread because Sandboxie may be mentioned a few times is not very productive. This applies to the entire Forum using Search the way I was doing.

My emphasis is on the difference between a "reference" and a "specific", it is all a bit ambiguous and fringe technical.

If I wish to search for a keyword/words and not to get the entire Forum`s casual references, then your information about using the Advanced Search is a stunning revelation and I am very grateful for this explanation. It looks perfect to me.

My sincere thanks to you and Cudni for your help.
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.