Fortinet Security Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dw426, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

I just took it for a test drive. I love it! This is for free too :D...I think from now on I am going to be recommending this to friends, family and people whose PC's I fix. This is an excellent security product! However, I would still use MBAM, SAS etc, as usual with any security product. :)

2. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I downloaded it last night (thanks for the link) but haven't yet installed it.

I've looked around on AV-Comparatives and Virus Bulletin and at AV-Comparatives Fortinet hasn't been tested since 2007, but looking through the archives, Fortinet's detection rate was not among the best.

At Virus Bulletin, it was alternately pretty good and not so good. Since February 2008, Fortinet has passed their test proceedure every time.

At Virus.gr, I found no recent tests, but a few forum posts referred to Fortinet missing some test samples.

I'm confused about the test results at AV-Comparatives as Fortinet has a superb reputation in the corporate security field. Is that reputation based primarily on their hardware offerings instead of their stand-alone software ?

-And-
    I wonder if this (and the paid version) are truly improved products or the same application with different cosmetics ?

So far, the opinion(s) here are mostly favorable, so I'll give it a try.
    I hope it's a lot better than Forticlient.
    I tried that earlier this year and was far from impressed.

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I think labelling items as 'suspicious' gave it a lower rating in the past, but as I learned from someone on here, in the business environment where they don't want staff to install non-standard software, identifying media players and other entertainment programs for example as 'suspicious' is what businesses want.

It's a new version, so old reviews might not be relevant, base it on how it performs now. I might give it a try soon.

4. thathagat

thathagat Guest

Its detections are very good....except for fake av's(understandable) and a few scripting exploits....but overall :thumb:

5. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Actually, I found the WebGuard blocking most of those :) The heurstics etc, need to be configured before you play with it though :)

6. wtsinnc

A very early assessment;

Single computer at home. Dell E510 with P4 Prescott/3.0ghz; 4gb 533mhz RAM.
    No VPN.

I am impressed with the minimal impact on system speed and overall performance.
    Task Manager shows CPU at (max) 56% during a full scan (high priority); memory usage rarely exceeding 400mb.
    If the AV and Firewall components are truly effective, this will be a winner !

It does tag WinPatrol.exe as "suspicious".
    I have submitted that as a false positive.

I wonder how this compares overall with CIS ?

7. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Used it for a day with Win7 32 bit, 2gb Ram, Q6600 CPU, Sandboxie + Shadow Defender. Standard installation, though disabled Spam/Email protection. No probs so far.

fortclient1.jpg

FCWscD7.exe = 1.1MB
    FCDBlog.exe = 3.4MB
    fcappdb.exe = 3.9MB
    FortiProxi.exe = 5.0MB
    FortiFW.exe = 6.2MB
    Fortitray.exe = 4.6MB
    FortiWF.exe = 2.2MB
    Fmon.exe = 10.7MB
    Rmon.exe = 3.4MB

40.5MB total, For me.

I did notice something else running at boot for a couple of minutes but I can't seem to replicate it. Maybe an updater.

8. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Gave C: partition a scan see if it finds anything interesting.

Scan started at 02 September 2009 16:46:14.
    C:\Program Files\Pidgin\plugins\libgg.dll, virus found: Suspicious, action: <None>
    C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll, virus found: Suspicious, action: <None>
    C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe, virus found: Suspicious, action: <None>
    C:\Program Files\Tall Emu\Online Armor\oawatch.dll, virus found: Suspicious, action: <None>
    Scan finished at 02 September 2009 17:02:01.
    Total files scanned 31438, infected 4. Total boot blocks scanned 1, infected 0

Pretty obvious FP's :( . Faster than Avira can scan the whole drive.

scan1.jpg

I did enable heuristic scanning. Apart from that is all standard settings.

EDIT: just tried again with heuristic scanning off - FP's above not reported this time.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  9. cet

cet Registered Member

I installed it in my virtual machine,but I have a problem.I get the ''your web filter service is expired'' pop up .Anyone having the same problem?

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

11. hyatt69

hyatt69 Registered Member

i instlled on my pc(vista) and same annoying system tray popup?also detecting rollback rx installer as suspicious.runnin very light on pc though

12. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

13. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Doesn't Fortinet have tons of FPs? Is this even worth trying, then?

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yep, it does

15. simisg

simisg Registered Member

no fp just detect as suspicious files many aplication files but only if you activate heuristics and is not activated by default

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I honestly thought I had read that it did but I am wrong. I am sorry and must apologize.

here

this free suite may be better then the deal that Microsoft is offering with MSE.

17. wtsinnc

I also have gotten the aggravating "web filter service is expired" popup over and over.
    Nothing in the configuration options seems to provide a fix.

The alerts for other well-known and mainstream applications are troubling as well.
    How can any modern antivirus tag Superantispyware, Online Armor, Pidgin, and WinPatrol as malware unless they are trying to create doubt about competing applications.

I've already wiped and reformatted my test drive.
    I'll revisit Fortinet at a later date, hopefully when these issues are corrected.

18. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Heuristics scanning is important nowadays. Think I'll pass on this for now.

19. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I wouldn't go that far. Not bad for a complete solution but I feel MSE has something special.

Ice

20. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

So is it a tumbs up? and recommeded?

21. simisg

simisg Registered Member

for my opinion yes... if you want something complete for free and if you have some advanced knowledge about security

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Sadly I'll think I'll pass on it for now also. These FPs being reported are really senseless, surely by now they know these applications exist and what they are used for. I appreciate the testing done, maybe we'll see this tested soon by PCMag or the like.

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Thanks Ice, we both known that, just trying to be political correct.;)

Personally, I think Microsoft is hitting a grand slam with MSE and it still has 2 major changes coming.;)

24. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

you say to major changes? like what?

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm hoping one of those changes is to boot-up time. Good grief, during the first release, it was great, hardly any delay at all. This release, they can keep this program if it continues like this, almost over a minute passes by from the time my desktop first comes up to the desktop icons and taskbar icons appear. I still have it as I truly believe this will turn out to be a great program, but something went nuts along the way. I have no other real-time security, not even Sandboxie or the like, so I can't see how a conflict could be happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.