FortiClient Host Security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dan_maran, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Has anyone here, or any where else for that matter, done extensive testing on it? I have only run some minor tests, with around 300 virii, and found it to only pickup newer virii and older more pronounced samples. Since my collection is older and compressed, zip, rar, tar, etc. , I was just wondering if anyone had tried this before. Currently I am running it in the unregistered mode and I like all the features, VPN, FW, AV, "Greyware", also the price is very reasonable, $15.95 US. I know it is geared more to VPN, but the AV and FW seem worth the price to me. Also the 3 processes it spawns seem so use about 22MB combined, with no lag at all. Just curious if others have tried this and your impressions.

2. dan_maran

Nobody has tried it besides myself?

3. dan_maran

Ok, I have been running FortiClient Host Security for about a week now and have some info for people.
    First - the price $15.95 online.
    Second - Updates seem to be atleast once per day on the weekdays, and non-existent on the weekends.
    Third - Memory usage is very low and I have everything in the suite running, AV, FW, VPN, etc.
    Fourth - Resident shield, so far it has caught everything I threw at it, by going to not so nice sites and the like. The OD scan is really fast and light also.
    I emailed them on Friday afternoon to ask a few questions, not techsupport sales, and I am awaitng a reply so that I can clear up the "Preview Release" label in the AV section.
    All in all, seems nice and light, as long as you don't mind the limited updating options/times.

Attached Files:

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Thanks for the info, it sure looks good from an enterprise point of view!
    Fortinet seems on the right track. The update problem seems a minor one, I suppose that they will enhance it sooner or later.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If this is a new product and not one with a licensed version of another AV, detection rates may not be too hot.

It takes time to build up a signature database for any new security product, particularly an AntiVirus.

6. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

This was added to jotti a while back and doesn't perform well at all. Also failed last VB xp test (not that that means much).

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

But... Oh My! -- the GUI is simply georgeous. :cool:

I wonder if they are using one of the established engines, or if they have set out to develop their own. Also, what is a "VPN?"

8. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

If I am not mistaken VPN = Virtual Private Networking.

Thanks,

Chris

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

the real time scanner is very lite on the system . Its all very nice. The firewall leaves port 0 closed and everything else is stealth. Its hard not to like.

10. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I'm new to this jotti. It looks like FortiClient and Norman were the only 2 antivirus products to miss this malware?

Attached Files:

11. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Some may even say that the Fortinet AV scanner 1.66.3 upd 4.588 is even better than NOD 2.12.4 upd 1.998 with AH, against BAT samples.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

12. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I thought it looked bad but that is REALLY BAD.

13. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

But Fortinet got the latest VB 100 % Award and F-Prot, which detects about the same level as Command AV 4.92.8, missed. What would be your choice between these two?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

14. dan_maran

From what I have heard, Fortinet's database is driven more on the side of recent malware and Zoo's versus older virii. And again this is a new route for them to have AV software instead of hardware so I think they deserve some adjustment time.

Another thing is the fact that the updates are huge each time you download it. But in my opinion tha is a minor glitch.

15. solarpowered candle

Likuidkewl , How are finding it ? . Did they respond to your email enquiry ? Do you feel comfortable running all aspects of it still ?

16. dan_maran

Indeed I do, the only thing I have noticed is that the definitions are geared more to the Newer and itw virii than older threats, the thing is even if it is missed by the AV the regmon usually pics it up while trying to edit the registry. The updates are huge, I would use this in or corp environment or by a person whom is a "safe" internet user. I like it alot and think I am going to purchase a license.

17. dan_maran

Just a quick followup I looked through the VB100 results from FEB and found the info on Fortinet:

Attached Files:

18. solarpowered candle

I still really like this antivirus/firewall . Where did you find the price likuidkewl .
    As you say its for new virii . It is really nice on the system and very lite.

19. dan_maran

20. solarpowered candle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.