Former GoBack user thinking about TI11

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by balloon_tom, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balloon_tom

balloon_tom Registered Member

I have been a GoBack user for many years. I have heard all sorts of horror stories about GoBack but I have had anything but good results. It runs in the background, and when I mess up, I hit the space bar during restart, select a date prior to mess up, and I'm back to where I was.
    QUESTION: Can TI11 be configured to operate the same way that GoBack does? ie. run background, save periodically and save on each shutdown.
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I'm pretty sure TI will do that ... others can confirm. I do only manual backups. But consider what would you do if the hard drive dies ... it takes GoBack and all its restore points with it. This is where TI has an advantage. You can save Backup Images on another drive (even on DVDs) and can restore these Images on to a new drive in case the original drive fails.

3. balloon_tom

balloon_tom Registered Member

Yes, I agree that backing up to a second drive is imperative. Perhaps my question should have been: "Does TI provide for multiple restore points or is the last backup the only restore point availible?"
    Tom

4. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

Well, TI doesn't call them restore points but it can do that and more. There are many different ways to backup and restore, you could for instance have it to create an image once a week, of either a partition, multiple partitions, or the whole disk, and take incremental or differential backups every day. You can schedule backups, set up backup locations and control the contents automatically, or do everything manually which I, Dwn, and many do.

If you look for any posts made by Grover in this forum he has useful links you can browse through.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello balloon_tom,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis True Image does indeed allow multiple restore points. You can find detailed infomation on how to use Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 11 Home to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You do need to understand the GoBAck and Image backup programs are essentially diff kinds of critters. While some of the same utimate goals can be accomplished with either, they aren't the same kinds of things.

Go Back actually logs changed sectors on the fly and so that you can undo what's been done to a disk -- i.e., go back x many changes.

Imaging/backup programs like ATI take snapshots of your drive/files and record them in a file. It's not done continuously on the fly although it can be done while use the PC for other jobs. Otoh, once you create a backup, it doens't get destroyed by a disk defrag -- Go Back must be disabled to do a defrag and then it must start over recording changed sectors. This is enough of a pita for some folks that they give up and adopted the increased flexibilty of doing backups.

Because you can make many backups/images, you can restore your PC to diff snapshots, which meets a simialr goal to using diff restore points in GoBack.

Go bAck cn only log so many sector changes, after that it's fifo, as it dumps stuff. With a backup/imaging program, you can make a backup and save it indefinitely -- you can only save as many backups as disk space allows but you can keep any particular backup for as long as you want.

Thre are other functional diffs but I thin those are the key ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.