format partition or delete partition

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by lexillustrator, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lexillustrator

lexillustrator Registered Member

Hello

After migrating from XP to 7 64-bit, the only problem I have is installing Adobe CS4 Design Premium. Setup comes with a whole list of installment failures. Deinstalling failed as well. I did not have System and Primary disk backup yet. Only solution was to have a new systemreinstall on a clean disk.
    I installed everything but Adobe and made a Backup of the sytem
    partition and the partition with Windows And Program Files and all.
    I found some possible solutions for the Adobe installation on the internet, but the first one failed.
    Yesterday I restored the two partitions with checking Replacing files. But as I feared during the process, was that after a long wait, that leaves everything from Adobe where it is.
    Today I went to the Advanced mode and chose "format partition" on both partitions.
    Does this option erase all the files on these partitions or should I have chosen "Delete Partition..." (As far as I know partitions means if you want two disk spaces that operate independantly of each other on a hard disk, when you delete the partion, this would mean, the whole hardisk would have one diskspace again. Is this correct? Or does "Delete Partition..." mean it deletes all the files on this partition?

Greetings, Lex van de Oudeweetering

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. lexillustrator

lexillustrator Registered Member

Hello

I've discovered what I needed.
    Using the Restore Command and restoring both partions did not give me a bootable system.
    My problem was that I did not dare to Delete partitions because beside the SytemReserved Partition and the Partition with Windows and ProgramFiles on it (Which both appear as one partition in Windows) I had another partiton on my basic HardDisk. Not used to partioning and not knowing what would happen to the space and partitions, I was scared to perform the Delete partiton command.
    But I Backuped the third partition to a different HardDisk and was ready to do the DeletePartion operation, when I rightclicked on the SystemReserved Partion and saw the Restore Partiton option. When doing this you have to select the subfile in the Backup that represents this partionBackUp, (instead of the mainBackUp file if you use Restore),there is no other file that gives you an option. And after performing this for both partitons it worked. My computer booted again. And I finally met a good supportguy at Adobe after a couple of failed Setups for my AdobeSuite and Restoring my Backups again and again, we finally nailed the problem. I've learned a lot and feel much assured and happy knowing how to Restore and having the Adobe tools I need.

Thanks, Lex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.