Format & Install

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by khanyash, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Format & Install of XP

I have Dell Laptop, XP SP2 CD & Programs & Drivers CD. I have lost the serial key sticker. I guess serial key can be find by serial key finder. Currenly the system is updated to SP3. I guess serial key doesn't change with the service pack so I can find the serial key with a serial key finder & use it, right?

Format & Install of WIN 7 64 with an Upgrade CD

I have WIN Vista 64 Home Premium. Got a free WIN 7 64 Home Premium Upgrade CD.

Microsoft says that Upgrade CD is not for fresh install i.e format & install. So I have to Upgrade 7 over Vista. I can choose Custom Install to do a clean install of 7. But I guess this is not like format & install, right?
    BUT Microsoft also mentions that to do a fresh install i.e format & install with an Upgrade CD one must choose the option Custom Install, then Advanced & then Format. So I am confused here. This option of format & install can be done? The reason I want to do format & install coz the system was hit by 3-4 malwares & Security Tool Fake AV. Though I cleaned the system with various softwares but want to do a fresh install. I also dont have Vista Installation & Drivers CD. This is an HP Laptop.

Currently the system has 3 Drives. C, D & E. D is for Recovery Image, E for CD/DVD & C is the main Drive. The system has 500 GB HardDisk. In a fresh install of WIN 7, I want to allocate 100 GB to an additional Drive for my persoanal stuffs. How can I create an additional Drive F? I have to create this additional Drive during or after Win 7 install? I have never done format & install so all these questions.

Thanxx
    Naren

2. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Formatted & installed & everything is fine. I have partitioned the drive as C & E, D is the DVD drive.

Disk Management shows the following. Is this correct??

C Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (Boot, PageFile, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

My Stuffs E Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition)

System Reserved Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

I have installed only win 7, no software & no drivers. msconfig - startup & add/remove is empty, is it normal?

Is the everything above correct? So that I can go ahead & install other programs & drivers.

Thanxx
    Naren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.