Format before restoring?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tipton, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

I am using TI 8 build 768, and everything is working great, except for the compression bug I found.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=44777

Anyway, my question is this. When restoring an image, is it necessary to format the drive you are restoring to first? I am not sure of the exact goings on when restoring an image, so I was just wondering if it is a more thorough way of doing a restore, or is it a total waste of time?

Thanks

Tipton

2. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

No, it's not necessary. You'd want to consider reformatting first though if, for example, you suspected you might have a disk issue and wanted to find out before attempting a restore.

3. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! I see that during the image restore, that TI deletes the existing partition anyway, so formatting and then partitioning would seem to be a waste of time like you say.

Tipton

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Further to Leehigdon3's sound advice, I would add that if you suspect a disk problem you should also carry out a full sector scan\repair. It'll take a long time I know but reading other threads on this forum, it seems that TI can be brought to its knees by bad sectors (which a format won't necessarily correct).

Regards

5. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys! My disk is performing just fine, I just wanted to make sure there was no real reason to format before an image restore.

Tipton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.