Format before restoring?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tipton, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

I am using TI 8 build 768, and everything is working great, except for the compression bug I found.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=44777

Anyway, my question is this. When restoring an image, is it necessary to format the drive you are restoring to first? I am not sure of the exact goings on when restoring an image, so I was just wondering if it is a more thorough way of doing a restore, or is it a total waste of time?

Thanks

Tipton

2. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

No, it's not necessary. You'd want to consider reformatting first though if, for example, you suspected you might have a disk issue and wanted to find out before attempting a restore.

3. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! I see that during the image restore, that TI deletes the existing partition anyway, so formatting and then partitioning would seem to be a waste of time like you say.

Tipton

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Further to Leehigdon3's sound advice, I would add that if you suspect a disk problem you should also carry out a full sector scan\repair. It'll take a long time I know but reading other threads on this forum, it seems that TI can be brought to its knees by bad sectors (which a format won't necessarily correct).

Regards

5. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys! My disk is performing just fine, I just wanted to make sure there was no real reason to format before an image restore.

Tipton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.