forced to remove ESS (beta2) heres why...

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by kC_, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

have a few issues with ess beta2 that havnt been resolved or fixed or even answered yet.

from first instal last week, things were great, on my laptop, only issue is
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183408

which so far i dont know if its even been reproduced or fixed..

then on my server PC (XP Pro SP2), i have an issue, where after 24hours of uptime things start going weird.
    1. i can no longer browse workgroups, (but shortcuts and mapped drives work)
    2. Tversity no longer works to my XBOX360 (upnp streaming Music/pictures)XBOX just says "no computer found"

only way to resolve them is to reboot the server, then things work perfectly for 24hours again.

but came to do a reboot couple of days ago, and got a completely blank ESS GUI, so had to reboot again, then all was fine.

but 24hours was up again, needed workgroups & xbox working, so rebooted, but no GUI at all, and when i tried manually launching ESS, the computer hung. so i rebooted three times, all the same... i also couldnt uninstal it (no safe mode because of Windows installer)
    so i had to disable the Eset services in services.msc & remove the egui from startup in the registry. then i rebooted in normal windows and i could then uninstal ESS.

ESS fits the bill perfectly for my home network, 2 mediacenters, 1 server, 1 laptop, 4 desktops.. but for the time being im going to have to remove it.
    i hope many of the problems can be solved, and i will be testing again next beta release.
    willing to buy 8 licences if its stable & bug free. is looking to be a fine product!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You can bet Eset monitors these forums whether they answer each individual question or not.

I'm also quite sure they appreciate the beta testers providing feedback. :thumb:

3. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

same problems with RC1, i guess they dont read the feedback that much ;)

forced to remove RC1 now

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Keep the faith. :D

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Check this:
    Personal firewall setup -> Protocol filtering. Does selecting "Applications marked as Internet browsers and email clients" make a difference?

In the HTTP setup -> Web browsers, try putting a cross to the Windows media player executable and let us know about the result.

6. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

nope no difference... even if i disable protocol filtering is exactly the same, even if i set ess firewall to allow all mode, it still causes the problems!
    (not just media player... also same in VLC player)

even if i just try to copy/paste a large file over (700mb avi) from PC1 it estimates 92minutes, then up to 180minutes then says no time.

this is where it gets even stranger... as i flicked into remote desktop on my server pc (PC2) to write this post, the speed picks up..... when i minimize the remote desktop it was on 29minutes, but then immediatley jumped back up to 120mins+

so as im in remote desktop (from laptop to PC2) it seems the traffic can flow better between the laptop and PC1!!...

so to test, i clicked a film, set media player to "always on top" and then continue to write this post... the film plays immediate & perfectly within a windowed media player.

the very second i minimize or close remote desktop, the media player grinds to a halt & freezes.
    nothing gets logged as being blocked in ESS rc1

so just to sum up my setup
    router - thompson st585v6 (6.2 firmware) WPA2 AES wireless
    switch - netgear gs608 gigabit
    PC1 - mediacenter 1.5tb storage, wired at 1gps to switch
    PC2 - general fileserver/browsing machine, wired at 1gps to switch
    PC3 - laptop wireless WPA2/AES (54mps) to router

there is many other pc's and devices & 4 consoles, but nothing to do with this test.

the basic fault is the way ESS is handling WPA2/AES encryption. if i set the laptop/router as WEP128 its no problems. (but i dont want that security risk).

uninstal ess and use any other firewall (tested a few comodo/jetico/outpost) and all works perfectly

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just to make sure (maybe you already mentioned it before) - does installing EAV make a difference and the problem only occurs with ESS?

8. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

EAV causes no problem, is only ESS

9. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

Sorry to barge in here guys but I'm having the same problem and I'm beginning to feel ignored. Here's my thread.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=186193

I did what I was asked to do but I'm not sure if it worked. When I finished the report it didn't seem to do anything and because I can never access the websites in the ESS Help menu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.