For NIS/NAV users!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

For Norton Internet Security and Norton Antivirus users-

Lucomserver_2_5.exe in C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate needs to have Install Drivers/Services privileges. The most recent liveupdate by Norton appears to make changes in service SymIDSCo and Lucomserver tries to re-install this driver/service but will be blocked if not permitted in PG.

The name Lucomserver_2_5.exe may vary based on the version of Norton you have.

2. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Siliconman01

Assume you have version 2.5.55.0?

I ask because all my updates are spot on but I haven't had any alerts from PG. Running NIS2005 (for the moment anyway.)

3. siliconman01

I have NIS 2005. The PG alert block came through this AM when Lucomserver downloaded ids$20defs$202005$20microdefs25_microdefsb.curdefs_symalllanguages_livetri.zip

4. Oremina

I have that one too (2.43kb, 3 files)... properties say created 1 November 2004 10.38.41 AM and modified 11 November 2004 9.17.05AM (I presume this is when I d/l'd it...but can't remember for sure.)

Odd. o_O

5. siliconman01

Perhaps the difference is that I have NIS Self Protection turned off and am letting PG do all the protecting, eh? :eek:

6. Oremina

No, have been following all these threads for some time and the first thing I did was turn off NIS self protection (plus one or two other things which are about as much use to me as a chocolate fireguard.) However, I have given the install Drivers/Services privilege as per your post. I may disallow again and see what happens.

Maybe someone else will add to this if the same has or hasn't happened to them.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  7. siliconman01

Here's my PG log entry about it.

Thu 11 - 03:50:11 [EXECUTION] "c:\program files\symantec\liveupdate\lucomserver_2_5.exe" was allowed to run
    [EXECUTION] Started by "c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe" [760]
    [EXECUTION] Commandline - [ "c:\progra~1\symantec\liveup~1\lucoms~1.exe" -embedding ]
    Thu 11 - 03:50:50 [DRIVER/SERVICE] c:\program files\symantec\liveupdate\lucomserver_2_5.exe [4068] Tried to install a driver/service named SYMIDSCO
    Thu 11 - 03:50:50 [DRIVER/SERVICE] c:\program files\symantec\liveupdate\lucomserver_2_5.exe [4068] Tried to install a driver/service named SYMIDSCO

8. Oremina

I've just disallowed the privilege, so I'll see what happens. I can well remember Norton's Naveng and Navex wanting those allows when I was using PG2 and, if I remember rightly, PG3 beta. But since PG3 came out 11 days ago, I haven't had one instance of any prog wanting to install Drivers/Services.
    Possibly Baldrick may be able to add a little as he appears to keep a close eye on PG3/NIS 2005 problems.

9. Oremina

Siliconman01
    And now I'm feeling extremely foolish (in public too!!) Well, it's not for the first time in my life and probably won't be the last.
    I have been through my PG log and see this:-

Thu 11 - 09:17:22 [DRIVER/SERVICE] c:\program files\symantec\liveupdate\lucomserver_2_5.exe [1620] Tried to install a driver/service named SYMIDSCO
    Thu 11 - 09:17:22 [DRIVER/SERVICE] c:\program files\symantec\liveupdate\lucomserver_2_5.exe [1620] Tried to install a driver/service named SYMIDSCO

What can I say... I shall do my usual fall-back for cases of dire emergency and open another bottle of Bishops Finger.
    I watch those PG alerts like a hawk (normally) but today I goofed. I thought it a bit odd anyway after you had mentioned it, so checked the logs and found the above.

I can only plead insanity and apologise for wasting your time.

10. siliconman01

Well, at 3:45 a.m. in the morning, I was kinda thinking I was seeing "red"...that's why I rechecked the log. :D Have a Bishops Finger for me too!

11. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there

Been away on business in Europe and thought I had missed all the fun but.....as described by siliconman......it happened. I am running version 2.5.56.0. Oremina, have also noted that there appears to be no need to grant Naveng and Navex privileges as of old.

At present I can add nothing more to what you have both discovered.

Best regards

Baldrick :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.