Folder sync software - need particular feature

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by valnar, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valnar

valnar Registered Member

I need a sync program that will backup one folder to another but not start the process until the files stop growing and are completed. I record security video and while it's recording (motion detection), the video is actively growing. My current program Second Copy starts the process immediately upon finding a "new" file in the folder, which fails because it is in use. I looked at Syncback too but I didn't find that feature.

I'd rather not use something time based as I could need the backup as soon as a couple minutes after the video is recorded. It's also not a good use of resources to run a sync program every minute if there is nothing to copy. Undoubtedly it would trip over itself if a sync took longer than a minute.

There are other programs I could use to monitor the folder and after some activity fire off a command-line sync, but it's not very seamless and I've had problems with that. I am not a coder, but I know it is possible to watch for files to stop growing and wait a few seconds after that is done. A program called DirMon2 does this. The first sync app I find that incorporates similar technology will get my money.

2. wells50

wells50 Registered Member

I wouldn't give up on SyncBack SE or SyncBack Pro. Both backup open files using VSS. You can schedule Smart synchronization to run on a timed basiis and I believe it would not "trip over itself," though I understand your concern about that. Not all programs are as well written as the products from 2BrightSparks.com

SyncBack's Smart synchronization is appropriate when the target of the backup will only be written to by SyncBack. So SyncBack can be very smart and efficient about tracking what actually needs to be copied.

The freeware version is excellent - no nagware or adware. It does not copy open files, but maybe that just fine in your case. It won't "trip" on open files - it just won't sync them. Once a file is complete, bingo, the next scheduled sync will catch it.

I'm not affiliated with 2BrightSparks other than as a happy customer.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Freeware FreeFileSync has a realtime monitoring program called RealtimeSync. I don't know whether it will work in your case, but it's free in any event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.