Folder Lock crap

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by hec51, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hec51

hec51 Registered Member

Just a warning to those here, from experience, don't buy or try this software. I was reeled in by the free trial and thought this was a good app. After spending 30 bucks 2 years and countless hours of trying to get back lost data I have finally thrown in the towel. It worked well for the first 6 or 8 months then one day I noticed there was a folder labeled "scrambled" and all my files in it were just that, scrambled. It took a few days but I got my files back using their recovery download. I didn't learn from that and kept using it. About 6 or 8 months later, the same thing. All totaled, 3 crashes and as of this writing it's been a week and I still haven't recovered my files. I don't know how many others are out there that's gone through the same but I know I can't be the only one. Just trying to get the word out.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

Since a number of products in this genre have similar names, could you provide the specific vendor name or a url for the software that you'd recommend fellow users give a pass on based on your experiences?

Blue

3. hec51

hec51 Registered Member

The vendor name is Newsoftwares. Here is the link, http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock.

If I can prevent just one person from going through what I have been through it will be worth it. Their tech support is automated I am sure because I get the same response when writing to them for help. All I am trying to do at this point is just get my files back and be done with them. By the way I am no novice when it comes to computer software trouble shooting and I am no computer novice either. I have been building and trouble shooting all my computers for over 10 years now and I have never run across this kind of software lunacy.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

PC Security.
    http://www.tropsoft.com/pcsecurity/
    PC Security didn't lock my second harddisk either, a malware could still write on my second harddisk.
    Locking = no access, no reading, no writing, no stealing.
    I ditched PC Security immediately, because it doesn't do its job. I replaced it with Sandboxie.

5. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

A search of the forum would have turned up my rant about it. And my admission that I should have done a forum search before downloading. But as Blue noted,there are many similarly named programs so I am not even certain we are talking about the same one, since my problems were somewhat different from the ones you experienced.

6. hec51

hec51 Registered Member

You are right, I should have done some forum searches. Needless to say, I am doing just that now and I am trying out a few others. I don't think for a second that there are any guarantees from losing data with this kind of software either. You really just take a chance. I tried Universal Shield with a test folder and it didn't lock anything, trying another called Free Hide Folder. I don't think I will be spending any money on this kind of software any time soon. Your best bet is to back all your data up on a removable hard drive and store that in a solid floor safe.

7. Trezt

Trezt Registered Member

8. hec51

hec51 Registered Member

I complained to them several times and they sent me a link. Here it is: http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/recover.zip
    If it doesn't work like in my situation then you'll be forced to try things. They gave up on me I think because they would not respond to me anymore after I would tell them it wasn't working. They also told me to download another program called PC File Recovery. Nothing worked and I finally copied all my scrambled files to a friends computer and installed Folder Lock. I got my files back and now I will not have anything to do with them. I use True Crypt now and so far so good. Best of luck to you.

9. hec51

hec51 Registered Member

10. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

hec51,

No private emails unless they give their permission. You can describe the instructions within the email.

12. Trezt

Trezt Registered Member

Tanks for your time man!:) But the recovery.zip didn't work for me either. Where may i find PC File Recovery? Give it a try

13. GlobalForce

Check whether their faq applies.

GF

14. hec51

hec51 Registered Member

15. hec51

hec51 Registered Member

I don't get that, do you mean no cussing in the forum?? Or no forward emailso_O I haven't done either, I don't think.

16. hec51

hec51 Registered Member

Oh I see, Sorry, I understand now.

17. GlobalForce

You weren't accused. ;)

GF

18. hec51

hec51 Registered Member

No offence taken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.