Folder backup failed

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by howdego, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howdego

howdego Registered Member

Using Paragon HDM 12 Suite on a new computer. Just used the wizard to set up a scheduled multi-folder backup. The wizard process seemed to be successful. But the backup failed. Paragon provides no explanation that I can find for the failure. Two things come to mind and I would welcome comment:

1. The computer went sleep before the backup was to start. Might that be an issue?

2. I installed Paragon in the Administrator user account, but I use it from a normal user account. I noticed that when I start Paragon, I am asked for the administrator password. Is it possible that the backup failed because it needed a password? If so, how can I tell Paragon to always apply it?

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Just looking for a bit of clarification but, is it just failing all together or does it fail in the process?

3. howdego

UPDATE:
    I installed Suite 12 in the administrative user account. I use it in the Normal account. When I start the suite, it always asks for my password. So I redid the backup and made sure to input the admin password in the setup. The backup succeeded thereafter. Now, there is still a question as to whether it will run if the computer is asleep.

I just tried to do a scheduled differential backup to the successful backup. Scheduled it to run in seven minutes. Nothing happened. Did not even get a failed indicator in the Scheduled tasks page. I assume the short time to perform the differential was not a factor. I will try again.

Any experience with this?

4. wptski

wptski Registered Member

You can use the Windows Task Manager to wake your PC to do whatever you want. I had a problem with mine waking up when it was new. By using a event viewer I found out what was waking it up and stopped it.

I know nothing about how to setup the Task Manager for this but it can be done.

5. Paragon_Matt

6. howdego

Matt,

This looks like the solution to wake the computer, but, I cannot determine how to get to the properties page you show. I have right clicked every task and archive, but the window you show has not appeared. Can you tell me how to get there?

7. Paragon_Matt

My apologies for not clarifying, that is under the Windows task Scheduler, to find that click on the start menu>all programs> accessories> system tools > Task scheduler.

8. howdego

Aha! I see the task scheduler, but I don't see the backup task I have established in Paragon to back up a partition at 6 pm today. I am assuming it should be listed somewhere in the Task Scheduler Library, but I have looked at every entry in every folder and cannot find anything referring to Paragon. Have I missed a step somewhere which enters the task in the scheduler?

I have attached a screen shot of the scheduler.

Attached Files:

9. Paragon_Matt

Click on Task Scheduler library and let it load and you should see the scheduled task from within that library, once it loads choose the scheduled Paragon backup, and double click which will give you the screen shot I linked in the previous post

10. howdego

I looked in all the folders in the library (image attached), but I cannot find anything that pertains to the scheduled backup task that I have in paragon. Am I missing something? If it is not in the task scheduler, is there something I must do to set it up?

Attached Files:

11. Paragon_Matt

You are going to deep into the task scheduler library, all you should have to do is click on the main folder called 'Task Scheduler Library' that is where it should show you the main tasks run within Windows.

I have circled in red the 3 main folders and locations you will need to locate the wake option.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/528/60433518.png/

12. howdego

I have attached a snip of the Paragon task and its properties page, as well as a snip of the task scheduler in my win7/64 computer. As you can see, I have a task scheduled in Paragon, but it does not appear in the Windows task scheduler. That is why I am asking, have I missed a step?

Attached Files:

13. Paragon_Matt

No, you are looking in the correct places for the Windows Task scheduler, which is odd I will admit, create another scheduled task and see if it shows up in the Windows Task scheduler and let me know.

14. howdego

Established another backup task. The screen view is attached, including the properties window. Still no appearance of the task in the Windows task scheduler. It's like the scheduler is not importing the task.

Also, I noticed that when I click OK in the properties window, I get the error message shown in the snip. Is that indicative of a problem?

Attached Files:

15. howdego

Matt,

Any progress solving this?

16. Paragon_Matt

Working on it, just a lot of other reported issues that were in front of this, sorry gonna take some time, my apologies.

17. howdego

Wow! If it takes this long to answer a question by a Paragon tech, there may be more problems than a program should have!

I think I have found the problem, and I am pursuing it. I found the task in the scheduler of the administrator user. Remember, I established the task as a normal user. I set the properties for the task there. Now have to see if the program will awake the computer and run. Your on-line manual should address this, as my separate admin user is the recommended configuration for safety reasons.

18. Paragon_Matt

My apologies, but we go through and evaluate all bug issues reported, it's not a matter of bug reports it's an issue of having many other duties, while attempting to check on them. I finished your issue on Friday and just didn't get a chance to report that I was not able to replicate the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.