Floppy??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cochise, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I've just booted up.....halfway through there is 'Floppy Drive (Fail) (80)' Press F1 to continue.....boot up then continues with no problem....but in MY Computer my Floppy icon has gone!......Whats that all about??!!..........Please...:D

Cochise,:cool:Floppyless in Florida...

2. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I think your FD just went south. Is there on light on it showing any activity? Most likely it died as the boot up occured. Mine did that last year and I had to replace it. They are pretty cheap.

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks BJ69 for the swift reply.......that fact had crossed my mind....No Light..nobody home..:D.....

I did check with Google and there appeared to be only two alternatives..(1). The plug was disconnected, (I checked, it wasn't)...(2). It had gone to that big Computer in the sky....:'(.....(Removal of the body and Burial, probably to-morrow)...:rolleyes:

Considering I've only used it once in about three years, I think I might just keep pressing F1...:D :D....

Very Best Regards, Cochise,:cool:

4. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Glad you`re taking it well. :) You`ll have it up and running again in no time. Take care.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Last time I had a floppy drive go south, I bought a cheap replacement, and when I opened my box and took the drive out, it was caked solid with dust. Blew it all out and the silly thing kept on working. Don't remember about the light though.

Pete

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

If you enter into the BIOS, you can probably change the setting to avoid having to do that (remove the floppy from the config). I did this when the floppy failed on my ancient second PC here at home, and I haven't noticed the absence of it.

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Just a small update to my 'Floppy' problem (no rude remarks)....I decided to buy and fit a new one (£7.49).........But I'm still getting the same error message and my Floppy icon is nowhere to be found in My Computer and I've still got the little yellow question mark in Device Manager......

Do I need to download a Driver from somewhere please.....I've checked everywhere on Google without any success....

Cochise,:cool:

8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

You could try re-installing a driver for it but you should`t need to. Sounds like that channel on your mobo may have gone bye-bye. Have you checked your BIOS settings to see that floppy is enabled?

9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Yep! went into the BIOS all mention of anything to do with Floppy are Enabled!!??........Please don't tell me it's a Mobo jobby.....that being the case I will just have to Disable in the BIOS and return the New Floppy from whence it came but, I would dearly like to think there is another solution somewhere out there.....

Being a bit on the slow side, can anyone tell me how the Floppy Controller is loaded into the Comp in the first place, and I don't mean installing it in the case..:D :D

Don't hold back, just give it to me straight, I can handle it.......:rolleyes:

Cochise,:cool: Controlling his floppy in Connecticut..

10. ThunderZ

When you right click on the ! in Device Manager what options do you get under the Drivers tab? Have you tried to re-install them?

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

All I get in the Device Manager with regard reinstalling the Driver is 'Can't find a better Driver'??!!.......Life gets tedious don't it....:D

Thanks for your input Friends...

12. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Never give up - there's something to be said for a functional floppy.

Rob

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Have you considered useing system restore back before the floppy problem??

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

:D :D :D........Cheers BigC my friend.....not sure whether my Restore goes back that far..........somewhere in the middle of March I think....but I'll have a look Mate...........you never know..........

15. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Aaaccchhhhhhhhh!.......went back in Restore to 3 days before the error showed up Big C and........NOTHING.......I can feel a hot tear beginning to trickle down my cheek..........I don't ask for much....I'm a simple man........why has fate decided to 'shaft' my Floppy........is there no justice in this world..:D :D...any kind of solution would be appreciated........surely, "Goodness and Wilders shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the House of Solution for ever"............:D

Cochise,:cool: Living in hopes in L'England...

16. ThunderZ

I`m guessing you have done the obvious, checking power and ide cable? Then you could try to return it one more time for a new one. If all that fails.....very possibly a bad channel on the mobo. :'( I feel your pain, I`d be lost without my floppys` too. :oops:

17. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I really don't have that problem anymore this comp didn't come with a floopy and I haven't missed it yet. I am sure that sometime something will come up where I will need one but I can't think of one off hand.;)

18. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Can I take it then that my Floppy is no more and that there is no way to reload the Controller back into the system, without renewing my Mobo?..

How does the Floppy Drive Controller get put on the system in the first place??.........

I checked in Microsoft 'Help' (something I have never yet found to be helpful) and it said to unistall the Floppy and then reinstall it??.....But if you uninstall it were do you reinstall it from??...so I passed on that duff solution...

19. ThunderZ

Not sure if they mean to physically remove it then re-install it (I doubt it). Or through Device Manager. In your case you would un-install the "?". Not sure what good it would do.....but you sure can`t break something that is`t working. Have you checked the 2 connections? Both power and ribbon cable. Checked for bent pins etc. The "?" is telling us Windows knows something is there.

20. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Many thanks ThunderZ.....at least your positive my Friend...:D..I've checked, checked, and double checked..............this Floppy doodad is an elusive little bugger....starting to see my bum now (A Brit saying).........It's looking more and more like taking it to my 'Mending Man'!!.............

21. ThunderZ

Figured you had checked. Now it has me waving the white flag as well. Let us know what you find out.

22. ThunderZ

oops.....connection hic-up = double post. Sorry.

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  23. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

That's not all that much an exotic suggestion, Cochise. They're referring to rightclicking the icon in device manager and selecting "uninstall" -- or is THAT the icon that's gone missing for you ? I think when they say "reinstall it", they mean let Windows Plug-n-Pray hardware management redetect it when Windows starts and automatically reinstall the generic floppy "driver" - that was poor wording on their part.

I would give that a try, but I'm skeptical that would solve anything since the problems you have with detection at boot sound more like a hardware or BIOS problem than anything to do with Windows -- how could it if you see the problem before Windows begins to start ?

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, did you do what ThunderZ mentioned and check the other end of the cable is connected to the motherboard correctly?

what beeps does your computer make when it starts and what do the lights do on the floppy drive during boot?

25. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks for all the suggestions Pals........Bootup is totally normal with all the correct beeps etc.,.....

In Device manager I let Windows search but all that comes up is (Code 10) which means it found nothing....

All cables are tight both ends (Mobo and Floppy).....tried new cable...no joy..

After all the help offered I think I have to concede that it is a Mobo fault...in which case I will live without a Floppy.....:D

Best Regards to All,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.