floppy disk question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You can make a basic start up disc through xp. Insert a floppy go to my computer and right click on your a drive then click format. It has an option to create a dos start up disc

Attached Files:

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, bigc thats the place i was thinking of, dont know how long it would have taken me to find though, so thanks :) . but what about all these other boot disks you hear about? are they for CD's? if not are they any better. well, what im asking is what floppy boot disk do you have?, the one in the screenshot, or something else?

4. bigc73542

I have several that I can use. It would be the xp disc first, if it didn't work It would be a start up (rescue disc ) from my partition magic ver. 8.0 and if that didn't work, reformat and reinstall. I have everything on disc so I can reinstall my OS pretty quick. ;)

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i dont want to keep going on about it, but one last question. when you hear of these boot disks, are they normally CD's? and the place i was thinking of was http://www.bootdisk.com/ if thats a floppy, would it be basically the same as the xp deault disk?

off topic, but they have a nice utilities page
    http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm

6. bigc73542

Actually there are cd and floppy start up disc's. But I haven't used a start up disc in at least ten years so I don't really keep up on it like some have Maybe someone that has used a start up disc can help you more than I can on this.

sorry
    bigc

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

To get started, format a blank 3.5-inch disk using Windows XP, then copy the following files to it: ntldr and ntdetect.com. You'll find them in the I386 folder on your hard drive:

Also find and copy the boot.ini file from the root drive, usually C: drive. The boot.ini file may be tough to find, since it's a system file and is hidden from normal view. Even a search of the hard drive using Start/Find may not locate it. Here's how to make it visible so that you can copy it to the floppy. Use Control Panel > Folder Options > View, then clear the "Show hidden files and folders" box. Next, clear the check mark in the "Hide protected operating system files" box. Click OK.

Using Windows Explorer or My Computer, navigate to the root drive, usually C: drive, typically labeled Local Disk in Explorer. Right-click the file named boot, which is the boot.ini file, and choose Send To and 3½ Floppy to copy the file to the floppy disk you've been building.

Label this disk--XP Start-up works nicely--and set it aside. When you need it, start your computer using the floppy, then log on to Windows XP as you normally would.

http://www.md4pc.com/tips/xp9.htm

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yea, well, to tell the truth ive never needed one either :D i always find giving the casing a good whack with a hammer smashes the thing to pieces. job done :D

9. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Ice,

Those all look like boot floppy disks except for the one that says bootable cd.

Some people use the terms interchangebly, but disk and disc are different.

Disk as in floppy diskette.
    Disc as in compact disc.

Why it is that way I don't know, I read it somewhere in the past.

If your motherboard bios will let you (most nowadays will), a boot disc (CD) is much handier. You can stuff a lot more drivers and programs without having to swap floppies all the time. And a CD is much faster than a floppy.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Devinco. i'll remember that(disk, disc) i dont have a CD writter, but will soon, so my new disk will have to do for now. thanks Devinco :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.