Flash Player vs ShockWave Player - Difference?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ams963, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

I can see two of these players here. One's called Adobe Flash Player and the other is Adobe Shockwave Player.

What is the difference? Which one do I need to play a video in my Firefox, say like in Youtube, Dailymotion or other sites?

Best Wishes,
    Iron Man

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Flash Player is for playing videos, whereas Shockwave Player appears to be for playing games if you look at the Products Link for each from your link.

Download Flash Player link: Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player.

-- Tom

3. guest

guest Guest

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay thx guys. I understand now.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If you are not sure whether you have Shockwave or not. Here is a test page for Shockwave that also includes a link for the Flash test page. I haven't used Shockwave for about 5 years.
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Bo

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah yes I don't have it installed. Weird thing though. I've installed and downloaded and installed Flash Player. I can see only Adobe Flash plug-in in the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. I'm sure there was also a Adobe Flash Player before uninstalling it a week ago. Also in Add-ons Manager in Firefox there is ShockWave Flash 11.x.xxx.xxx

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Firefox and Internet Explorer use different installers for Flash. Plugin based and Active X browsers use different installers, if at this moment in Add/Remove programs you can only see the Adobe Flash plug-in, that means that Flash for Internet Explorer is not installed. Last week, before uninstalling, you had the player for both browsers.

Run this page in Internet Explorer to confirm that you don't have Flash for IE.
    http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Shockwave Flash in Firefox addons is Flash. I havent had Shockwave in a long time but I think if Shockwave was installed it would show up as Shockwave player.

Bo

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Bo you are absolutely correct. When the same installer from the same link is downloaded from Firefox and installed it becomes plug-in and IE has no flash so videos don't run. But when downloaded from IE and installed it becomes ActiveX. Now there is no 'Flash player in IE' in my pc. I've tried and tested it. Now I understand.

Thx for all the help guys. :thumb:

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

As per Iron Man's request, this thread is closed. Thanks all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.