Flash Player - Ridiculous Cpu/Memory usage

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PaulBB, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Running the latest version of Flash (on a clean, just installed Windows 7 OS, Dual Core CPU 2.50, GeForce 8500 GT, 4 GB of Ram) and I just noticed this:

flash_usage.jpg

I think that Flash and Firefox are getting day by day ridiculous and bloated just like Nero Burning Rom. What should I expect next? The day when the requirements for running Firefox will be 500 GB HDD, Core i5 processor and 8 GB of Ram? Anyone else have the same issue with the latest Flash version? Also the CPU usage when watching YouTube videos is around 60%.

2. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

what happened to my commento_O

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

What is a dual-core CPU 2.5?

Mozilla have deliberately raised the memory usage on computers with the RAM to spare - it improves performance. Most people don't even come close to using all their RAM. What are you complaining about here?

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

off topic posts removed

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have been bothered by high cpu usage lately in ALL browsers on flash videos... I don't care much about memory usage, but hearing my cpu fan working overtime is a bit disconcerting... Don't know what can be done about it though...

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Doesn't seem to affect the IE10 version at least, playing a video and it's at 0.7% CPU usage. Or is this more of a sporadic issue and less of a constant one?

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Wow... that's pretty good. I haven't tried IE10 yet. It seems to be a pretty constant issue lately, worse in Chrome and Opera, and less so in Firefox and IE9.

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm really not getting these CPU issues, even on an underpowered notebook. I often watch flash videos in SeaMonkey or Opera. I have noticed a bit of CPU spiking in Chrome sometimes.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

More or less I would say, but some releases are worse than others for sure.
    And it also depends on website content from my experience. :)

11. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

I concur, on IE RAM and CPU usage is fine.

After years of Firefox, I almost started to hate this browser, is getting bloated day by day and full with bugs. I think that the problem are not the developers, but the 'open platform' itself - plugin this, plugin that, Firefox mod, Firefox nightly, Firefox addons ...etc. How to fix bugs without control? It's like tomorrow Mercedes goes open source and everyone from every corner of the Earth starts to build his auto parts. I want to see how many people are going to buy Mercedes after that. And no, I'm not against the open source idea - but having a browser where thousands of people can 'contribute' doesn't makes me happy. Maybe I'm too old, or too bored, but since I consider myself a practical person, I don't see any reason on buying more, powerful hardware just to watch stupid videos on web. And, I don't think that Firefox is free since the frequent answer on their forum is 'Buy more RAM'. Mozilla should put up some hardware store. Or send to people free RAM every time we install Firefox.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.