Flash CPU usage maybe nice info for gamers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kees1958, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

I noticed some strange CPU highs, since latest Flash updates. Running on a simple dual core E5200 @ 3GHz (mildly overclocked from 2.5 to 3.0). The video card is a HD 5570 passive cooled (mildly underclocked) version. So I reloaded a fresh install image (updated it again and updated my fresh install image backup for future test).

Only Windows 7 x32 with IE9 and Chrome (no other software except adobe). Windows Resource monitor showed
    1) When both IE and non-IE were installed
    - Chromium 17 highs to 98% CPU usage and sometimes locking
    - IE9 high to 93%
    - No indications of hardware failure from windows report.
    - RE-tested with default clock frequency, did Chrome allways lock and IE9 sometimes

2) When only IE9 with flash was installed
    - IE9 CPU usage up to 32% max

3) When only non-IE flash was installed
    - Chromium CPU usage up to 27%

4) When only non-IE flash was installed
    - Chromium CPU usage up to 25%
    - About: flags settings
    a) GPU acceleration on all pages
    b) Native client enabled
    c) Run PPAPI Flash in each renderer process

Repeated test several times and averages were listed above. The difference between Chromium 3 and 4 are not substantial enough to rule out other effects (in one test a slight dip in Internet bandwidth from 40 to 34 in the disadvantage of test 3).

Maybe some members can buckle up a VM and do some testing, or other members can perform a simple GPU benchmark on their live-config running either IE9 with IE Flash or Chrome/FF with non-IE flash while other flash is uninstalled.

Regards Kees

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No numbers here to back up my experience yet, but there is certainly a sluggishness in my Flash experience lately (Firefox though, as IE 9 and Flash have never worked properly for me).

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

What Flash is giving you 98% usage? O_O

I'm at 3-4% CPU right now with Trillian and uhhhh 15 Chrome tabs open + Extensions.

http://freegames.1up.com/games/interactivebuddy.html
    29% while playing this game, which can get VERY intensive when there's loads of items/ explosions.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

With 40 grenades, max settings (AA max) and all exploding I can bump up to 40%. I dono.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

About the same for me with everything on high, using mines, I get up to 40 at times too. However, I don't have game issues, but streaming issues. A couple of Flash videos running at the same time noticeably slows responsiveness down. I also should mention I'm using the 64 bit Flash 11, so perhaps that makes a difference.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Same game reaches 39 - 41 % on my PC for comparison\

Full HD flash movies from, especially when advancing movie through progress bar. The E5200 was a low end dual core, when it was lauched as an "el cheapo" CPU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.