Fixmbr moved my partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Iain57, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain57

Iain57 Registered Member

Hi everybody
    I've got one from my " I'll never do that again" file
    I was trying to move 2 drives, one was C (it was going bad) and the other was D,E,F WINXP was on D. My first thought was to get DDS and make space for a C partition and have a small boot partition but from some other forums, D should have stayed D

I ran Fixmbr and D turned into C. I booted with DDS and it shows C,D,E and
    the files are still there. The recovery mode didn't find any lost partitions
    I tried to rename C but the "Change drive letter" is grayed out. BIOS will read the drive but no boot. Is there a way to rename the partition or move that boot sector so I can try to recover without a format and re-install.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

'D' turned into 'C' because, this is now marked as active and XP boot files now live there.

DD10 failed me very badly recently when a TI9 image went bung and did strange things with a restore.

The only way I found to get the letters back where they are, is to use the XP letter change using Disk Management plug in, and then running checkdisk /r - .

This may not be possible for you as I imaging your drive is now either an IDE Master on IDE 0 or a S-ata on 1/3.

Exactly what partitions do you now have?

Colin

3. Iain57

Iain57 Registered Member

I gave up and formated with DM, now Fdisk won't see the partitions I made.
    Oh well I'll just keep hitting on it with bigger hammers till I fix it.
    Thanks for the reply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.