Fixmbr moved my partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Iain57, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain57

Iain57 Registered Member

Hi everybody
    I've got one from my " I'll never do that again" file
    I was trying to move 2 drives, one was C (it was going bad) and the other was D,E,F WINXP was on D. My first thought was to get DDS and make space for a C partition and have a small boot partition but from some other forums, D should have stayed D

I ran Fixmbr and D turned into C. I booted with DDS and it shows C,D,E and
    the files are still there. The recovery mode didn't find any lost partitions
    I tried to rename C but the "Change drive letter" is grayed out. BIOS will read the drive but no boot. Is there a way to rename the partition or move that boot sector so I can try to recover without a format and re-install.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

'D' turned into 'C' because, this is now marked as active and XP boot files now live there.

DD10 failed me very badly recently when a TI9 image went bung and did strange things with a restore.

The only way I found to get the letters back where they are, is to use the XP letter change using Disk Management plug in, and then running checkdisk /r - .

This may not be possible for you as I imaging your drive is now either an IDE Master on IDE 0 or a S-ata on 1/3.

Exactly what partitions do you now have?

Colin

3. Iain57

Iain57 Registered Member

I gave up and formated with DM, now Fdisk won't see the partitions I made.
    Oh well I'll just keep hitting on it with bigger hammers till I fix it.
    Thanks for the reply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.