Fixie.bat

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rico, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi, anyone know if this is malware:

www.manishkapoor.com

Along time ago I visited this site, and clicked on fixie.bat. Doing so listed a bunch of dll files I'm not sure if they were changed or what. One of the entries looks like:

a:\>regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll 23 total dll files showed up from

fixie.bat /p

Also www.fixie.notlong.com brings up manishkapoor

I know it was extra stupid of me to execute that batch file, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also what does >regsvr32 /s do?

I think I still have a floppie with fixie.bat on it. I tried with no luck to submit it to Norton. They never got it or replied back.

If it helps I did a whois.net & came up with Process and Computerized Design Services Inc.,

domains@dreamsome.com

whois.joker.com gave an address 2801 Ocean Park Blvd
    ste 330
    Santa monica, ca

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Good Morning one & all:

Regarding fixie.bat I did manage to save a copy of it (ages ago) to floppy. Today I was successful uploading this file to "TrendMicro" (current AV) there submit a suspicious file/undetected virus. I did get a case ID number. Stay tuned, I'll post there findings ASAP

Thanks
    rico

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Update

Hello, TrendMicro responded about fixie.bat (see first post, this thread) it seems this batch file contains no bad bugs.

Well! I must say from all this I've learned, its safer to, "just say no."

Scouts honor (I'll write it on the blackboard 100 times)!

1. Never say yes to an executable file on the web, unless your positive,
    what's going to do, who published it, & why i need it.

2. Never say yes to an executable file on the web, unless your positive,
    what's going to do, who published it, & why i need it.

3. N...

Thanks
    rico

4. manish

manish Guest

Hi,

The file fixie.bat is not a malware. It is a batch file which re-registers the DLL files for Internet Explorer.
    It was meant for only Windows XP. This script is designed for my customers to re-register these IE files over the call as it used to take 45 minutes for me to dictate the commands and thereby causing long delays over the calls.

Please check the followig Microsoft Articles which also show that these commands are authentic.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;883829
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555027

I hope this answers your queries.
    Anyways I had given this file only to my customers to fix IE files which get un-registered due to spywares or malwares.
    I would request you to check with Microsoft or any anti-virus vendor if you have any doubts.

Thanks and Regards,
    Manish Kapoor

5. _Lyn_

_Lyn_ Guest

I learned of IEFix months ago from a post at wilders and used it for the first time last weekend. It did indeed fixed the script error. Thanks manish : )

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.