FIXED: Problems with current version available for download

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by spamcat, Jan 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spamcat

spamcat Registered Member

Due to the need to reinstall, I downloaded the most recent version of NOD32 commercial (XP) from the Eset website. Upon installation it pretty much wrecks havic. The one time I was actually able to get the program to open it showed 2.008 and 2.009 components. Upon uninstall (only possible in safe mode, due to it restricting access to any files on my computer), or a manual kill of all NOD processes through Task Manager everything is relatively back to normal. Subsequent attempts have had the same results, except once I had to use system restore in order to reclaim my computer. When NOD previously updated to version 2.008 I had problems as well, though not as severe. Version 2.006 caused me no problems before.

Any ideas? No specific errors to report it just grinds my system to a halt and NOD won't start. :'(

P4 2.4 GHz
    512 MB Ram

Thanks,
    sc

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Re:problems with current version available for download

spamcat,

It's fairly impossible to diagnose what has been the culprit here. I suggest you drop support@eset.com an email explaining what has happened.

regards.

paul

3. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Do you have XP SP1 Home Edition?

4. spamcat

Yes, and everything is fully patched. The install seems to go well, but on restart the nodkrn has serious problems and takes forever and a day to load (if it loads at all) and then the gui can't handle whatever problems it causes (locks without a version or build displayed in the startup screen). Typically Kerio loads first prior to me logging into my account. With the new version Kerio will not load until I kill the nodkrn process. If I don't kill the processes through task manager it prevents access to any files not on the desktop or linked through the start menu. The NOD uninstaller runs but doesn't work (I assume related to the nodkrn lock-up). Thus the need to boot into "safe mode". Best case scenario for boot even if I kill the processes as soon as they show in Task Manager is about 5 minutes vs. 3 seconds with version 2.006. Unfortunately this scenario repeats successfully every time I install (full uninstall including third party registry cleaning and defragmentation of drive).

This seems to be entirely as a result of the new version of NOD32. I found a previously downloaded version of 2.006 in my archives and reinstalled successfully. However this does not bode well for the soon to be released update if the version currently available is indicative in any way.

Thanks.

5. WilliamP

I am really sorry to hear this. It took me a reload of windows to get mine straightened out after the update to 000.8. It seems they haven't corrected the problem yet. And what is scarry, they are talking about releasing that bad boy as an update pretty soon. May have to turn off the automatic update.

6. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Interesting has I've resintall 2machines with winxp sp1 and sp2 with NOD32 ( Not even fully patched ) Nothing issues with the versions mentionned above.

Might have a thirdparty software wich might not like Nod32 ?

7. spamcat

I'm not giving up hope just yet. I'm going to try my best to work through these issues with support when I get home from work. I will certainly let you know if I am able to reach some solution.

Thanks,
    sc

8. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Spamcat - you mentioned Kerio which rings alarm bells with me, as I had slowdown and shutdown problems with KPF running on XPPro SP1. Previously I had run Kerio for several years on 98SE with no problems.

Just wondering if there might be a KPF/NOD conflict.

9. spamcat

Thanks Phil, I'll put that on my list of things to test out when I get home. I'm going to apply the "scientific method" to my existing startup programs to make sure there aren't any conflicts causing the problem. I'm just surprised to see issues that aren't present in 2.006, though certainly not unheard of.

I hope to have some information to report back later tonight.

Thanks again,
    sc

10. WilliamP

Spamcat , what are you running on your system. My firewall is Norton. When I updated to 000.8 I couldn't get to IE or OE. After going back to 000.6 there is no problems.

11. spamcat

Ok it was simple yet deceptive to find. After trial and error and too much time reading windows error logs the problem was...

DCOM (Distributed Component Object Model)

Awhile back I disabled DCOM using DCOMbobulator from Steve Gibson due to the fact that vulnerabilities existed and to my knowledge (and I would guess most peoples at the time) no software used it. Well apparently the newest version of NOD32 requires it (at least for installation anyway). I don't know if this is related to the new IMON functions or not, but NOD never complained previously (PCU 2.006 and below).

I just wanted to thank everybody for their suggestions. Maybe my trial and error can be of help for someone else.

Thanks,
    sc
    :cool:

12. sig

sig Registered Member

I'd be interested in feedback from ESET as to whether or not having DCOM enabled is necessary for the new program upgrade.

I'm currently running the .006 NOD and I also have DCOM disabled and would like to know whether or not this will be an issue with the next program update.

13. WilliamP

I would like to see an answer to the question of DCOM . I also disabled it and would certainly enable it if needed. Thank you.

14. WilliamP

Spamcat ,how did you re-enable DCOM? Thank you.

15. spamcat

Just run DCOMbobulator again and choose "Enable DCOM" under the "DCOMbobulate Me!" tab. I would recommend running the local scan under the "Am I Vulnerable?" tab afterwards just to confirm that you have your DCOM services patched.

I should mention that now that everything is up and running again it feels like this version of NOD may even be just the slightest bit faster on my machine, though its probably all in my head :p

sc

16. WilliamP

Thank you for your reply,Spamcat.

17. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Its in both of our heads then spamcat, mine is bit faster too :rolleyes:

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I can state right now that I will no longer use NOD when my license is up if I have to enable DCOM in order to use it!! NO WAY! I will use the old version until October and then get another av that does not require me to enable DCOM.

19. spamcat

I can confirm that now that NOD is installed I can run just fine without DCOM. It doesn't seem to make much sense at all to me, I just know that as soon as I enabled it yesterday the errors went away and NOD would finally initialize for the first time. I'd love to hear any opinions from ESET.

sc

20. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,
    I take liberty to assure you that NOD32 DOES NOT utilize DCOM at all (NOD32 can even be installed on Win95 which does not support DCOM without installing an add-on). The only explanation is that NOD32 conflicts with another program that utilizes DCOM. It would be good to see a list of all applications installed from more computers on which this problem occurs.

21. spamcat

Thank you very much for your reply Marcos. I know it makes little sense and I appreciate any help you can give, I have no problem with the idea NOD is conflicting with something all I know is that the only way I could get NOD to install on my system was to enable DCOM. So maybe DCOM was related to the conflict. Perhaps if we troubleshoot this we can help others who may run into a problem (hopefully I'm just the freak exception). Here is a brief rundown of how I got the most current version installed:

Current startup (other than NOD) approimately 27 processes total:
    BOClean
    SpywareGuard
    Kerio
    Startup Monitor
    Miscellaneous ATI Drivers (unncecessary removed from startup)
    Miscellaneous iTunes Process
    Windows XP Processes according to Black Viper's SAFE list (fully patched)

Startup is normal without NOD installed. Install NOD after reboot and receive numerous errors seemingly related to DCOM (see representative below) along with previous documented slowdown and inability to access files:

Tuesday, January 20, 2004 DCOM DCOM got error "%1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B 726-00C04FB926AF}
    Tuesday, January 20, 2004 DCOM DCOM got error "%1084" attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server: {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B 1D0-00805FC1270E}
    Tuesday, January 20, 2004 DCOM DCOM got error "%1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B 726-00C04FB926AF}
    Tuesday, January 20, 2004 DCOM DCOM got error "%1084" attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to run the server: {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-B F92-0060081ED811}
    Tuesday, January 20, 2004 Service Control Manager The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2004 Service Control Manager The DNS Client service depends on the TCP/IP Protocol Driver service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2004 Service Control Manager The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: ASPI32 Fips IPSec MRxSmb NetBIOS NetBT OMCI Process or RasAcd Rdbss Tcpip

Unistall NOD, reboot, all errors go away. Remove all non windows programs and processes from startup, reboot normal. Install NOD, reboot, same errors are back (minimal windows processes only). Uninstall NOD, errors go away, boot normal (minimal windows processes only). Reinstall NOD, reboot, again errors (minimal windows processes only). Reactivate DCOM, reboot, no errors NOD starts normally!! Uninstall NOD, reboot, reinstall NOD, no errors, boot normal (minimal windows processes with DCOM). Uninstall NOD, turn off DCOM, reboot, reinstall NOD, reboot, same errors (minimal windows processes). Uninstall NOD, turn on DCOM normal startup services, reboot, reinstall NOD, reboot, no errors, boot normal. Celebrate!!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. It is certainly possible I fixed another problematic program by turning on DCOM, but it seems I was only affected when NOD was thrown into the mix. If it helps, NOD is one of the few programs out there I would go through this amount of effort to get running, it really has been excellent for me I have never had any problems with its operation (unlike several competitors). If there are obvious errors in my method then there is a reason I'm not a detective or research scientist (though perhaps being an engineer I should be able to figure this out). :p

Thank,
    sc

22. spamcat

It’s probably time to close this thread. I appreciate all of the comments and perhaps my post will help provide ideas if anybody runs into the same rare problem. The more I have investigated (I'm just never happy until I know why) the more I'm convinced that NOD was conflicting with another program and that turning on DCOM fixed a problem with the conflicting program and not NOD. I have run subsequent tests both on my machine and another here and I can no longer get any of my previous problems to repeat either with or without DCOM enabled (using the same download). Now everything works great either way.

[FWIW, I'm actually beginning to wonder if a previous install of KAV is somehow related as I had noted that its uninstall process was not very clean. The uninstall program refused to work unless in safe mode (it actually would say that it worked ask for a reboot and then KAV would be loaded again) and RegSeeker had to remove numerous registry entries after the fact.]

Special thanks to both Paul and Marcos for addressing quickly. That's why I love this place :D

sc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.