Fix-It Utilities 8 Pro released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FanJ, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

I received an email from VCOM that Fix-It Utilities 8 Pro was released.

http://vcom.avanquest.com/cat/prod.php?pid=4116

I understand that System Suite 8 Pro was also released.

http://vcom.avanquest.com/cat/prod.php?pid=4148

At the moment I don't know which AV is used in Fix-It and System Suite, and which firewall is used in System Suite, sorry.
    I have been an user (strictly only on-demand). I have not yet decided whether to buy; maybe I'll go for Fix-It.

PS: here is wishing that PowerDesk Pro will also get an upgrade....

2. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Unless it's changed, the AV is TrendMicro (aka PcCillin) and the firewall is based on Filseclab.

You can get a trial version of System Suite Pro here.

3. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

That's been out for at least a few weeks. It's generally junk except for the Recovery Commander boot disk.

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

HI,

I am using its sibling; system Suite pro 8, key given by a friend. Using......
    Only these parts: Recovery commander(for non-booting recovery function only) and rescue disk (making my own bootable CD). Other functions can be found in other products. Theirs are not the must have. Has a good potential to be a leading one-for all utility app.

5. appster

appster Registered Member

I sure don't know what that remark is based one... My friend has/uses Vcom System Suite v8 (same as Fix-It + Firewall). He says he has been using System Suite since v6 and loves the AV, Frewall, Defragger and all the built-in utilities. He confirms that the AV and (perhaps) the Firewall are by Trend Micro.

6. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Actually, you're wrong, it's generally pretty good. I don't know how long you've used the products but I've been using them for the last four years.

Their registry utility is one of the best, the defragger is good, and most of the included utilities are pretty good.

7. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I am interested in finding out how recovery commander works on a non-booting system.

8. appster

I'm also curious, so I visited their website, and it says...
    It appears that Recovery Commander is available as a stand-alone product as well as being an integral part of System Suite!

9. Espresso

Recovery Commander is like a subset of System Restore. It saves the registry hives and boot files (boot folder in Vista, ntldr,boot.ini,etc. in XP) plus a manually configured set of folders and files. To restore a checkpoint, you have to run the program in Windows or boot with the recovery disc. It will also restore the registry hives of Windows System Restore points.

It's very slow making checkpoints compared to ERUNT.

10. appster

Sounds to me as if RC replaces System Restore (and then some) - If not, what does SR do that RC doesn't do?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  11. Espresso

System Restore also removes installed applications and any other changes to system/application files.

12. appster

So can I then conclude that SR serves no purpose if you have RC?

13. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

Hmm... interesting.

That RC... can it fix or repair messed-up logon process caused by disabling infections? Can RC be run from bootable-CD/diskettes or from network?

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

As far as I know, cause I am using it.

Recovery Commander will create 19 points of so-called check point(on my WinXP pro sp2 MCE), it also has an option to allow window's system restore to be created simultaneously. In reverting to previous check point, RC will remove changes of registry or other essential sectors, but not installed files(excluding exe files). User is required to remove those non-essentials manually. Generally speaking, it is effective, but not optimal.

System suite/Fix-it has an important option, that is to allow user to create a bootable rescue disk (if you purchase program digitally from Internet). User will be able to reboot computer to use system suite/Fix-it 's RC feature. It works, and comes in the right moment. Take care.

15. Espresso

Umm, more like the other way around if you need a more thorough restore process. The advantage of RC is that it backs up the boot files as well. Both types of checkpoints can be restored with the RC boot disk (registry hives only for SR).

16. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

The old version 7 was pretty poor and over-rated. It went out of date for so long. I be surprised if they turned it into something good.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.