Fix Firefox's memory problems, says Mozilla director

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

From a comment after the article, "Go right now to the FF Add-Ons web site and download the MR Tech add-on. It's mainly for developers, but it adds a very nice Restart FF menu item, button and keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+R). It restarts FF with the same set of currently open windows." Just what FF needs, another extension or add-on. Yea-yea, that'll cure the mem-drain that FF does(n't) have. Wish they'd just fix the mem-issues/fragmentation so I could use it regularily....

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'm currently running Netscape 9.0.0.3, which uses the Mozilla engine. In the few weeks I've had it, it's always been up. I start it first thing in the morning and it stays in the background when I'm doing other things.

I don't know exactly the difference between Firefox and Netscape but there must be something. I've had no memory usage problems with Netscape. In fact, I've removed Firefox for exactly the reason mentioned in the article and use only Netscape now. I have NoScript and Adblock installed and they work fine with Netscape. I understood that this latest Netscape is just a rebranded Firefox. Doesn't seem to be the case, but a couple of weeks might not be enough time to really say.

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

If you hog memory on a mobile phone, that would really slow down browsing and people won't stand for that. :p

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I started reading a thread at dslreports that confirms what Chuck57 said. Netscape had fixed the memory leak. Unfortunately, the EULA says your not allowed to block ads when using NS. I see ABP still works though from Chuck57's comment :) .
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19363742-Mozilla-Netscape-Navigator-is-back

Hopefully the code will trickle over to Firefox soon and they will find a solution.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I really don't understand what people are talking about. The guy in the article mentioned 600MB use! Then, after 3 days 1.1GB use! What? How does one manage that?

At most, I have managed was about 200MB with some 100 tabs open. And sometimes, even when downloading slow and huge isos over a few days, it would never get above 70-80MB.

Important: this is true for me since 1.5 or so.

Mrk

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Seeing is believing. At least for me. Just search flickr for "firefox memory".

Anyways I hope Firefox 3 has much lower memory usage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.