FirstDefense-ISR Technology Wish List

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Leapfrog Software, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Exclude list based on paterns

When I add '*\Temporary Internet Files' in the exclusion list, I would like to see that any folder with this name is excluded. Same way for '*\Temp'

Patern based lists, please.

2. wilbertnl

Reconsider archive compression

This is what I know about the size of one of my archives:

Uncompressed: 1.58 GB
    NTFS compressed: 1.00 GB
    zip compressed: 0.75 GB

3. wilbertnl

Recover from Archive while in pre-OS screen

It seems to me that currently I'm only able to restore from an archive by first booting into a copy snapshot.
    I wish for the feature that enables me to restore from an archive (residing on external device:thumb: ) while in the pre-OS screen.

What do you think?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Re: Recover from Archive while in pre-OS screen

I think that's a grand idea.

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Re: Recover from Archive while in pre-OS screen

Why didn't I think of that ? Hell yeah, it's a grand idea, wilbertnl !

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

1) As noted elsewhere a Bootable CD would be nice. (Even Boot floppy?)

2) Failing that BartPE plugins?

3) POST #3 and #28 are great ideas.

At the moment I think these three variables are what keep me using BING as primary back-up option.

FWIW I think that If these could be implemented then within limitations of size of snapshots, could be close to perfect solution :D

Thanks.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  7. Longboard

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Concerning the processing screen where you are copying a snapshot to another snapshot for example.

1. The button "Hide Details" is an unnecessary gadget IMO, just show the whole screen with all its possibilities.
    2. The box "Close when task has completed" is always marked and I couldn't find a setting to change the default value of this box. I like to see the results when the job is done and I always have to unmark this box, if I don't forget it.

3. FDISR mentions two elapsed times, when the job is done : main screen and detail screen and both times have a small difference, which is a bit ridiculous.
    This difference causes all kinds of unnecessary questions or reactions of users :
    - some users will laugh at it, because the computer can't count, after all both times should be equal.
    - some users will think, which one of both times is correct and ask for it?
    - some users will think, if both times don't match, what else could be wrong?
    A small detail, but I would correct it, because a program doesn't stop two times, only one time.

9. Longboard

Control Panel option for automatic archive refresh at shut down.
    :cool:

10. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Not a request, but the new 'compressed snapshot' feature is awesome.
    My snapshot went from 7GB to 3.2GB. That's really nice :)
    Can't see any decrease in performance either when booting from the snapshot.

Simply amazing!

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Another suggestion: creating/updating MBR to another media other than floppy disk, such as a CD. They are a dying breed, and many newer computers don't even have floppy disk drives.

12. wilbertnl

You want this?
    http://www.geocities.com/wilbertnl/images/FD-ISR_mbr.jpg

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think I have misunderstood the term "network path" thinking that browsing to the D: drive wouldn't come under that category.

14. Peter2150

You aren't alone Tony.

15. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

This may have already been posted. If so, tough. Consider it seconding the motion.

In the task progress dialog, bytes are being abbreviated as "b". As long as I've been involved in personal computing, since 1980 or so, "b" has been the abbreviation for bits and "B" has been the abbreviation for bytes.

Using "B" for bytes and "b" for bits is not merely a personal preference. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1541

It's admittedly not a capital crime but it really sticks in my craw. Since this is a wish list, let it be known that I wish that were fixed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  16. Longboard

If there is a log for errors during copy/update, i assume there is a finite number of error types?

How about providing a list of and explanations of errors and how to correct them if possible. Perhaps a Knowledge base type search.

If not, then a list to rate severity of errors, potential ramifications and pointers about which need referral to tech help.

Thanks

17. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

How about a way to compare two snapshots to see what the differences are between them? Granted I've made way to many snapshots since I installed FDISR to play around and see how it works, but sometimes I forget which snapshot I want to keep as is, and which I want to update. It would be great if I could see which snapshot has Office installed, for example, without having to boot into them one by one.

18. Peter2150

One thing you can do is when you name them you have room to put in a pretty complete description. That should help.

Pete

19. cthorpe

Yes, that does help. Unfortunately, I haven't been remembering to go update the description as I use it. Last night, I had booted into a snapshot and installed Office 2003 with all of the recent updates. I booted back into another snapshot to check some settings and configurations, and while in that snapshot, I did an update to get the Office installation copied over to a third snapshot. Unfortunately, I got the first and thrid snapshots switched in my mind and ended up copying the Officeless snapshot over the Office snapshot. :mad:

Another wishlist item: Ability to update multiple snapshots from one without having to do it manually each time. For example, I have Clean1, Clean2, CleanUntouched. If I want to reset Clean1 and Clean2 back to the Untouched state, I would like to be able to select more than one target for the update.

C

20. LokiLoki

LokiLoki Guest

I wish I can:

- right click the tray icon and choose the "Boot to snapshot" without going into the gui

- enter password for groups even if we are log in to windows

- make snapshots frozen other than current

21. ErikAlbert

Re: FirstDefense-ISR Scheduled Tasks

The scheduled tasks of FDISR require more options to make them more usefull and to meet more wishes of the user.

The suggested 10 options are :
    01. On Demand
    02. Daily
    03. Weekly
    04. Monthly
    05. One time only
    ----------------------------
    06. When my computer starts
    07. When I logon
    08. When my computer shuts down
    09. When I log off
    10. Once a day

The "On Demand"-option (#01) allows you to run a scheduled tasks "on demand" and these are also usefull, because you can't make any MANUAL mistakes anymore in the source and/or destination (archived) snapshots.

The "Once a day" (#10) option is required for options #6, #7, #8 and #9 to run or not to run a scheduled task one time or each time, when you log off/on or reboot/shutdown your computer.

22. Longboard

As previously noted: yes please.

Heh, remove useless user with brain slow down at end of day from loop. :D

23. cthorpe

You can make XP perform some of these tasks for you using Group Policies. To get to the GPE, run Gpedit.msc. Under Computer Configuration you can find startup and shutdown scripts in the Windows Settings branch and you can find logon/logoff scripts in the User Config/Windows Settings branch. You can use batch scripts for the commands to make copies. I am still working on how to dynamically get the name of the currently active snapshot, but it works fine with static snapshot names.

24. ErikAlbert

Unfortunately, less-knowledgeable users (the majority) don't know anything about batch scripts.
    Such users need to be guided by a wizard to make a schedule and that's what FDISR does.
    I'm just expanding the possibilities of FDISR-schedules for those who want to use them. Those aren't my ideas, I stole them from other softwares with scheduled tasks. Why would I invent the wheel, when it is already invented. :)

25. cthorpe

Of course. I would like to see FDISR offer that kind of scheduling in the wizard as well. I was just throwing the scripting idea out there for anyone who would like to be able to do it now. I think that a lot of people who are running FDISR in the first place know a little more than the average user about how to get things done in Windows. :)

C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.