Firstdefense 3.20.202 errors 405 / cwd-02

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR BETA Forum' started by coen99, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coen99

coen99 Registered Member

Hello,

I'm trying to use FD together with Jetico Volume Encryption 1.97.
    I encrypted the bootdisk and all other drives. When you boot JVE shows a login screen and after that FD shows up.
    For this JVE writes to the MBR. But the NEW FD 3.20.202 should not have a problem as it doesn't writes to the MBR anymore.

Installling is no problem, same goes for making snapshots. So far so good.
    However when you reboot to another snapshot other than the primary, all snapshots besides the primary are gone.
    And when you try to update or make a new snapshot I get an "error FD-ISR 405".
    When you reboot (again) beneath the FD startup screen another error shows "error cwd-02".

What does those errors mean ? o_O
    And will there be a possibility to use FD with JVE in the future ?
    Or is there any other imaging/backup software that can be used together with JVE (encrypted C: drive) o_O?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

There is obvious a conflict between JVE and FDISR. I'm not surprised either, volume encryption is quite a change on a harddisk.
    I would email this post to the support of FDISR, unless the beta version has no support.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have to ask why you feel you need to encrypt the whole hard drive? I think it's just asking for trouble.

Also note that there really is no support mechanism for the Leapfrog version. Support comes from one of the vendors like Raxco, and they won't support the new version until they release it.

Pete

4. ErikAlbert

I did once a full encryption of my data partition [D:], using TrueCrypt, but that was not my system partition [C:], where WinXPproSP2 and FDISR is installed. Encrypting my system partition [C:] was absurd, because it doesn't contain any personal data files.
    It worked very well, including backup and restore with ATI, until I found out that encryption only protects you against physical theft and not against on-line theft and that was for me the end of encryption.
    I was quite disappointed, because on-line theft happens alot more than physical theft and I didn't want to divide my data files in two groups : encrypted and not encrypted. For me it was a full encryption or no encryption at all.
    In the very beginning I thought when my encrypted data was stolen on-line, nobody could read it, but that isn't true, it doesn't work that way.
    In order to work with encrypted data, you have to mount the encrypted volume and once that happens, your data isn't protected anymore against on-line theft until you dismount the encrypted volume.
    Encryption is like a safe-deposit, once it is open everybody can see and steal it. I thought that each encrypted data file was unreadable forever, also for the thief. Oh boy was I wrong about this.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Think about this. How many posts do you see with someone saying, "Gee, I am glad I encrypted my drive it really saved me because..." vs "Help, I lost my password, can someone help me retrieve my data" We see quite a few of the latter

6. ErikAlbert

That is indeed also a problem, I've seen these posts also more than once, but this happens only to sloppy users. I don't have that problem, because I prepare all this first and I print my password also on paper and on a diskette or CD, before I start using it.

For me encryption itself was a big disappointment, because it didn't make my data files UNREADABLE for the thief. I still have a hard time to accept this, because encryption was a part of my plan to protect my data.
    Since I know this, I'm not interested in encryption anymore.

7. coen99

coen99 Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your replies :)

I encrypt the bootdisk because of the preboot password protection of JVE.
    I also use encryption for years and I'm used to it. Recently I changed to Jetico VE mainly because Drivecrypt was causing me trouble with a new SATA 500Gb harddisk.

But this is giving me a hardtime ghosting/imaging my bootdisk :doubt:
    The only way is to image the whole c: drive, were as this is encrypted, no compression or leaving out non-used space is possible. Meaning 1 image is as big as my C: drive (30Gb) :cautious:
    So I was looking for a program that could function within the boudaries of JVE :shifty:
    However this seems to be impossible at the moment :doubt:
    So I think I'll take up your advice and leave the c: drive not-encrypted :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.