First time Full scan stuck at 72%

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by vindikation, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vindikation

vindikation Registered Member

I just bought and installed NOD32 today. I'm in Tawain and needed to buy the v3.0 Singapore version then downloaded the 2.7English version. Anyway I'm not sure if I have a virus on my system or not. Acer Aspire 5735Z laptop, Vista Home Premium dual core Pentium, 160Gb, 2Gb RAM, etc.

I installed the program and it is running but it never did an automatic "Initial Scan" like every other AV product I've tried, is this normal (do I have to manually run a scan the first time I run and install the program)?

I've tried 3 or 4 times to scan the In Depth, Local and Run NOD32 scans from the NOD32 menu and every time after about 20 minutes it just stops on the folder: C:\ProgramData and just hangs there forever. I basically need to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the scan to stop.

I've heard for years that NOD32 is the best AV program out there. I've used Norton for years and it has been heavy, but always worked. I'm sad to say that I paid $50 for NOD32 and the thing can't even do a complete scan of my computer.

Any help of feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Couldn't it be that scanning that folder takes more time because of more programs installed there? Does the problem persist with ESET NOD32 Antivirus (v3)?

3. vindikation

I thought that I had V3.0, but somehow when it did the automatic update download thing after I put in my NOD32 disk, it went and downloaded V2.7.

I found this to upgrade to V3.0, I'll try that and post my results:

http://training.eset.com/kb/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=29&page=articles&articleid=552

Also if I had some kind of virus, would NOD32 already find it from running in the startup (csrss.exe & winlogon.exe are running in the taskmanager with no User Name or Description in the listing, everything else has these listed)?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  4. vindikation

Ok ran V3.0 and it just hangs up at 42% at some different location. It shows the CPU as running at 100%.

I guess I'm just out of luck. I heard NOD32 was the best AV out there so I bought a 3 year $50 version of sight unseen. I guess I'm out $50 and need to find some other AV software that will work on my computer.

I had high expectations of NOD32, unfortunately it has been nothing but problems for me.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello vindikation,

I doubt you are out of luck. There are ways to work through problems.

Do you think you have malware on your computer?

6. vindikation

Hi Ronjor (Lone Ranger).

I earlier (before the NOD32 instalation) did a scan with Malware's Antibyte software and detected 2 problems:

Files Infected:
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Music\New Song.lagu (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Music\Video.vidz (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Pictures\aweks.pikz (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Pictures\seram.pikz (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Music\My Music.url (Trojan.Zlob) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Pictures\My Pictures.url (Trojan.Zlob) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Videos\My Video.url (Trojan.Zlob) -> Delete on reboot.

I've run many programs recently to try to fix things with no real luck. I'm currently trying to unitstall NOD32 and AVG and try Avast.

Thanks for the feedback.

7. vindikation

Ok here's the final info from what I was able to gather on my computer:

NOD32 v2.7 - locked up on full scan at 72%
    NOD32 v3.0 - locked up on full scan at 42%
    AVG Free - full scan, no infections
    Avira Free - full scan, no infections
    Norton 2009 Trail - full scan, only tracking cookies
    Ad Aware Free - only tracking cookies
    Malwarebyte Free - 7 files found that couldn't be deleted
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Music\New Song.lagu (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Music\Video.vidz (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Pictures\aweks.pikz (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Pictures\seram.pikz (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Music\My Music.url (Trojan.Zlob) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Pictures\My Pictures.url (Trojan.Zlob) -> Delete on reboot.
    C:\Users\Default\My Documents\My Videos\My Video.url (Trojan.Zlob) -> Delete on reboot.

Too bad the only program I paid for was the only one that couldn't run a full scan on my computer. I'm still not sure about the Malwarebyte files. None of the other 6 AV/Malware programs found those files.

Anyone want a free 3 years subscription to NOD32?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you enable logging all scanned files, it should help you narrow it down to the problematic file or folder, or reveal a file or group of files that simply take more time to scan and it just appears like the scan has stalled.

10. vindikation

Thanks for the feedback, when I get back from classes today I will try those two suggestions.

Thanks.

11. vindikation

Thanks I was finally able to get NOD32 to scan the entire computer (1:39 minutes to do a full scan). I was only able to do it online though, no threats found:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2461/esetgl1.jpg

So I think I'll have NOD32 installed on the computer and running in the background and when I need to do a full system scan I'll just use the online link.

Thanks for the help!

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

vindikation,

You might want to try scanning your computer in the manner Marcos mentioned so you can identify the files that require a lot of time to scan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.