First Russian anti-virus for Mac OS X from Doctor Web

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SergM, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergM

SergM Registered Member

June 16, 2009

The renown anti-virus vendor Doctor Web announced the release of its new Dr.Web anti-virus for Mac OS X (Intel). Now Mac users can protect their systems from malicious objects using the Russian anti-virus that incorporates cutting-edge technologies created by Doctor Web.

For a long time Mac OS X was considered immune to viruses and other malicious program and since the number of its users was relatively small, it didn’t attract attention of virus makers. So the illusion was upheld. However, popularity of Mac OS X is growing among users as well as cyber-criminals. Today a reliable anti-virus protecting a Mac from malware has become a necessity. And it is already available to all Mac users.

Benefits of Dr.Web for Mac OS X include:
    High-speed virus scan
    Reliable real-time protection
    Minimal system load
    Easy administration and the slick Mac-style interface
    Low updating traffic

Dr.Web anti-virus for Mac detects and neutralizes viruses, spyware, adware, hacking tools, paid dialers and jokers targeting MAC OS X as well as malware written for other platforms. Flexible configuration, custom scan profiles, easy administration and high usability provide quick and easy access to all features of the application. Low CPU load of Dr.Web for Mac OS X allow it to run virtually unnoticed.

Dr.Web for Mac OS X scans autorun objects, removable data-storage devices, network and logical drives, e-mails, files and directories including archived files and monitors activities of all running processes and all file operations. The application also checks files that are currently in use. The anti-virus features three scanning modes: express, full and custom.

Dr.Web for Mac OS X isolates infected and suspicious files in the quarantine.

The updating utility downloads and installs updates of virus databases and program modules over the Internet (automatically, on-demand and scheduled).

Dr.Web anti-virus for Mac OS X is available to customers as a separate electronic license as well as a Dr.Web for Mac OS X+Dr.Web Security Space license.

http://news.drweb.com/show/?i=369&c=5&lng=en

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Congratulations to Dr. Web :)

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Cool.
    if anyone has a mac to test this please post screenshots in the correct thread.

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Nice, although i thought macs are almost impossible to infect.
    Kaspersky's mac av is still in alpha. :cautious:

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

not impossible(although mac users would have you think so!) to infect but worldwide the no of machines in comparison with PCs doesn't make it worth the malware writers time:-why infect a couple of machines when you can infect thousands,relatively speaking

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Exactly right.

I was even surprized to know that for a hacker it might be easy to hack and own OSX as compared to windows. Rememeber the recent contest!!

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What happened to Comodo love? :eek: o_O :D

8. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Got annoyed helping the family with alerts :)

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

lol. U r right.

Commmon man,s security is a " No Pop-op" security.

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

QFT :thumb:

11. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

BUt the ads tell us they cant be infected...it must be true!

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

You cant really call someone a mac hater just because they speak the truth.
    no operating system is unhackable. at the last hacking contest OSX was the first to be hacked due to an exploit in safari.
    OSX is freebsd with a Apple GUI and due to the easy to use nature its alot less secure. lots of stuff is open so users can use it without any prior knowledge of computers.

on the apple website they finally say "antivirus protection can help improve security" on their security page.

Btw try watching the mac adverts
    those adverts claim OSX doesn't crash,is immune to viruses among other stupid claims.

I would respect apple more if they actually advertised the benefits of OSX rather than just dissing MS and making up loads of BS.
    I would also respect them more if there updator only offered updates for products you actually have installed. if you have only quicktime installed itunes and safari are ticked as default....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  13. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I can't believe they're actually charging for this. :thumbd:

Well it is more stable than Windows, and it is actually safer to use in the real world.

14. SergM

SergM Registered Member

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I have to agree, because although some people say Mac is better since it's has less exploits and such, well in a way they are right, but you also need to consider the fact that Windows is quite secure too due to the fact it's been drilled, hacked, slashed to bits. Then patched back up.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Of course its more stable there is a reason.
    to start with its based on the very stable freebsd kernel.
    Secondly apple only has to support around maybe 400 combos of hardware max at a time.
    windows supports millions of different comobos of hardware. i agree that windows should be more stable since linux supports more hardware than windows and is alot more stable.

but compared to windows apple have a walk in the park in terms of what they have to support.

Do you have any proof OSX is more secure?
    As stated at the recent hacking contest OSX was the easiest to hack.

so far people havent really bothered hacking macs because there isnt enough users to make it worth while. so unless you have got proof OSX is more secure then stop being an Apple fanboy.

NO matter what operating system you use a user can still type in there root password and allow a unsafe file to run =game over

17. risl

risl Registered Member

It's funny that the Mac version seems to have a proper quarantine but there is no quarantine in the Windows version. Only a hidden folder named "infected!!!" and no ability to view what it contains or restore anything from it.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey,
    I assume its because its a brand new product for an operating system they havent wrote for before.

now its been created lets hope drweb can work on proper quarantine on windows and also 64bit support.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

20. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

This release by Dr. Web has already been mentioned in the forums I'm sure as I don't use Dr web but somehow knew of it's existence.

21. gery

gery Registered Member

i think this gui is far better than the Windows one

22. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Come on - it's Mac. It's gotta be pretty. :D

23. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Can you install it w/o the real-time guard?

24. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Now all we need is AV-Comparatives or a similar site to start testing the detection/cleaning/performance of Mac suites.

Really, everybody claims they are the best on the Mac OS X platform, but there is absolutely no objective data out there that compares these AV suites against each other.

Personally I'm not that really interested in how many "Win32/DOS viruses/trojans/rootkits" an OS X based AV suite can detect - I want to know how they protect against, detect and clean OS X native malware.

And for that - there are absolutely no reviews available anywhere.

I might just as well buy a program that shows pretty graphics and does nothing else :)

25. SergM

SergM Registered Member

One of examples
    http://news.drweb.com/show/?i=376&c=9&p=0&lng=en

New virus infects Windows and Mac OS via Twitter

June 24, 2009

Doctor Web warns Internet community of a new threat that spreads over the social networking and micro-blogging service Twitter. A link to a malicious web-site is sent to subscribers of one of Twitter users. A victim is lured into downloading a special codec supposedly required to watch an adult video clip. The bogus web-site detects the operating system of the victim and offers different pieces of malware for Windows or Mac OS X.

The “ Leighton Meester sex tape video free download! “ message and the link to a bogus web-site appeared in the micro-blog of a former Apple employee on Wednesday, June 24.

The micro-blog has a significant number of subscribers (about 140 000), so the post was delivered to all the followers. The simple url shortener service http://www.bit.ly/ directed all users clicking on the url to http://www.nowpublic.com/ where they could watch the video. However, as the use tried to view the clip, he was redirected to http://worldt**e.su . Clicking on the video invoked a dialogue that prompted the would-be-victim to download the ActiveXsetup.exe codec file which was nothing more than a malicious program.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.