First post, many questions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by gunga, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunga

gunga Registered Member

First off, I look forward to mastering Disk Director, OS Selector, and True Image...but for now, well it's been a day...

1) I am up to date with new builds...computer has been fine. I have an Acronis Safe Zone on a external HD with complete and incremental images. Fine...

2) I was hoping to "Duplicate installed operating systems and define different configurations for each copy" (7.1 General Information, Disk Director, pdf.)
    Did that...copied onto same drive C:, automatically...found that some of the "different configurations" interfered with existing programs...decided to delete
    new OS and its system files...then, unhappy with that, decided to get back to "zero" with an True Image restore... fine..all's well...

On second try I was hoping to copy OS (Windows XP) to a different partition:

Two questions: a.) I started, then aborted a new copy when I realized I was doing the same thing...copying to C:...I had hoped that there was a step I might have missed on the first go-round asking me where I wanted to install...not so...so... How can I find/delete the partially copied files...do I delete the Bootwiz file?

b.) Can I indeed copy my OS to a different partition, i.e. F:, which is ready and waiting?

I looked through several posts but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks for any and all consideration, best to All...Gunga

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Gunga,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Could you please describe what actions you performed? When you copy the operating system using Acronis OS Selector the copy will be always stored on the same partition. However, there should be no intereference between the applications because all system files (including application files) will be on different folders for different copies of operating systems.

Please explain what error did you get after copying the operating system.

If you wish to create a copy of exsiting operating system on another partition you may copy the partition with OS to the new empty partition and then edit boot.ini file on the old partition adding the new operating system.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. gunga

gunga Registered Member

>Could you please describe what actions you performed?

After copying the OC, I uninstalled a couple of programs, hoping to simplify the new Os's task space...

>Please explain what error did you get after copying the operating system.

when I rebooted the default OS, the same programs were there, but my main program, Samplitude, could not find its critical .exe file. Ouch. Only after I restored through True Image did programs and I all recover.

(By the way, am I correct in saying that, in order to restore a C: drive from Acronis Safe Zone "over" a corrupted C: drive one must first restore the initial "complete" image, and then any subsequent "incremental" images.

...also, if one restores the latest "incremental" image, that will include all previous "incremental" images- like software updates do- on not?)

Also, "An NTFS operating system (Windows NT/2000/XP) can be copied only if its system files and folders are specified in its options and have the Enable parameter activated." Disk Director, .pdf 7.12, pg. 90

Q: specified in its options, where?

Thanks for the support, it's sometimes hard to ask for help!

Gunga

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Gunga,

It seems that the problem with Samplitude couldn't be aroused by copying the operating system taking into account that the problem was in the old system rather than on copied. Please make sure you uninstalled programs correctly.

As for the images, the MBR is stored only in the image of the whole disk. If you restore the image of a single partition to the same hard drive 9and the same place) it was before it is usually bootable because the MBR is not changed.

Please launch Acronis OS Selector, right click on the "Windows" item and choose "Properties". Choose "Folders" option and make sure all system folders are listed there. After that you may perform copying.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.