First Impressions of VBA32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n8chavez, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I find in very odd that there are threads dedicated to the comparison between VBA bases and AVP bases and they seems to not been one on VBA32 in general (except for when it was first released). Almost like it was initially discussed but then never again.

My first impression are as follows:

VBA32 has a lot of definitions (which, again doesn't mean anything but people feel securer with a higher number). It has more that Dr Web does with their beta spyware definitions.

Their is no scheduler in VBA32. This I feel is a must have for any AV.

It uses a lot of system resources. There have been post that say that VBA32 uses very little resources and it fact in that respect it is very Dr Web-esque. It is not the case here. Currently vba32ldr.exe is using 21,582k of memory without the POP3 scanner, heavier that Dr Web 4.32.5, AVP 6 (beta) and Mcafee.

I don't think this product is geared toward children and if it is not I see no need to include childish sounds. We need no sounds at all, they are only distracting.

There are no tests that can say how VBA stacks up against the rest. There is the occasional individual file test at VT but no "real" definitive results (come on av-comparatives).

This is a new company, correct? Then why have version 3.10.5 beta out already?

You can't even find out anything about this AV from their own web site. The site is very minimalistic providing almost no information at all.

I don't see how anyone can say that this AV is better (or worse) than any other because the above questions have not been asked, and until now not asked. We need more information about this newcomer before we can judge it. Why would anyone purchase this AV without these questions answered and without knowing its direction.

*** Rant Over***

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  2. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=87691&highlight=VBA32

1) VBA32 isn't a newcomer, they've been around since 1997.
    2) Your comments are generally pretty frivelous.
    3) It is like Dr.Web because it has a "New Files" option, with zero system weight.
    4) 12,000-20,000K is nothing in system usage, on par with most AV's there. I'm not sure how you'd say this is "A lot". o_O
    5) Theres already a thread for VBA32 as indicated above.

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That thread you metioned doesn't talk about certain things such as the scheduler (updating aside). Then there is the option of direction, which you mentioned they might add a firewall, that should be discussed more since it might effect user's choices. I'm not sure if I would say my comments were frivelous, althought it is certainly your perogitive to do so, I just think people should have these questions answered.

4. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

VBA32, may not look light on system resources but when properly configred it is. I wouldn't sweat 20mb of ram in this day in age. If you do use the command line version or another AV of your choice. As always it is what ever works for you.

You can disable the sounds, and also enable some more options by doing a custom install.

The scheduler as you stated is a personal preference, and I like not having one.

If you are interested in the direction of this AV, I suggest you send an email to tech support as they are more than happy to answer your questions. Serge used to be around here some but as of late has been not.

Other than that, again the try it out and see if it works for you approach is the best one. I understand where you are coming from but most of the information you are asking can be found by searching the threads of VBA32 here at Wilders. HTH

5. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I don't use a scheduler for scans either.. I'd venture a guess that most people on this forum don't as well.

A friend of mine was horrified to not see a scheduler in VBA32, and he was even more horrified that I asked why he needed one. :D

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

BUT they are very new to the "English" market place. I have ran this AV for a few months on one of my machines here and I was impressed by it's light footprint and it seemed to catch most of the malware that I threw at it.

You championed MKS/Arcavir when it first came out and placed your testing results on a number of forums. But it seems to have lost momentum of late.

Similarly, I would like more testing of VBA32 on a variety of sites and also to see how it progresses in it's development in the non-Russian/Belarus market before making any judgement.

Attached Files:

7. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Very good point!

8. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Quite correct in terms of the English speaking market... MKS really came out with a bang and then seemed to lose steam and didn't hold in the long haul in the english market.. I think StormByte was the cause, they didn't seem to have the funding and knowledge to make the product a success.. Their detections as of late are definately lacking.

I guess the important thing to remember here is that products change. They get better, they get worse, but they seldom stay consistant. The sign of a really good product is one that is consistantly good or constantly improving.

Time will tell if VBA32 can maintain their status - and improve it.

I guess if we all could run Norton, they've been pretty consistant through the years. :D

9. Mack Jones

Mack Jones Registered Member

10. destinyX

destinyX Registered Member

11. zaizai

zaizai Guest

MKS/Arcavir and VBA32 have 2 things in common, they both have very aggressive heuristics.

12. Mack Jones

MKS_Vir so good ?

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=69&mnu=69

I doubt about it according to this test... :blink:
    But in terms of heuristic, I'm sure its engine is damn good !
    And funny to see MKS_Vir and Arcavir so close...Arcavir should be an improvement of MKS...

Back to the topic now !
    How is, in terms of false positives, VBA32 in agressive mode ?
    This setting is unavailable in the trial version...

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Although there are (ir have been) some feature set differences, it's really just an English language localization of mks_vir. At least it was the last time I looked. The distinction between the two names was for marketing and commercial reasons as I recall

Blue

14. Mack Jones

Thanks for the information ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.