First defense rescue problem

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by LoneWolf, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Tring to make this work, downloaded the trial from horizon install seamed to go fine but then I click on copy/update and it goes through the motions but still no rescue aera, I get the message that I do not currently have a rescue aera protecting my system.
    Tried several times and rebooted still from the interface the option to boot to rescue aera is grayed out.
    Any insite on what the problem may be?

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Re: First defense rescure problem

When you install the program, there should be a step to create for the first time the rescue area (depending on the size of the drive this could last for a while, for me I think it was about 30 minutes).This step is not automated with the install, you have to start it. Once the rescue area is created (which is an exact clone of your drive), you can copy/update it to the original.

Also keep in mind that the 'Rescue area' will be defined according to where you are: if you boot into the rescue area, called 'Backup', the 'Original' will become rescue area and vice versa, although you will always know where you are as the names 'Original' and 'Backup' will remained tagged to their respective volumes. It sounds a bit confusing in writing, but it is much simpler when you actually do it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  3. LoneWolf

Re: First defense rescure problem

Did that, but I kept getting the message that get the message that I do not currently have a rescue aera protecting my system.
    Uninstalled and will try a reinstall, Maybe I had a bad download ( corrupt in some way)
    Will try again tomorrow.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think it is a good idea to reinstall, paying attention to all the windows during the procedure. I've noticed 'Malware Defender' in your signature, and I know HIPS often block processes silently, have you checked that out?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

On the reinstall, put Malware Defender in Learning Mode.

Pete

6. LoneWolf

Another HIPS was installed on the first try of installing FirstDefence Rescue.
    But I'll make sure MalwareDefender is in learning mode for my next attempt.
    Thanks for the suggestions. :D

7. LoneWolf

Still a no go here.
    Downloaded a fresh copy put MD in learning mode and proceeded to install.
    fdisr gui.png

fdisr copyupdate menu.png

fdisr action menu.png

fdisr log.png

I'm getting errors after the copy/update is complete.
    Boot to rescue area is grayed out.
    Each time I open the gui I get the pop up to copy/update again.
    Any ideas whats wrong here?

8. quark59

quark59 Registered Member

Have you tried clicking on the "plus" sign to expand the log entry? This may elaborate on what the error/s were.
    Allen

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I dont run the HDS FDISR Rescue version, but I recall that Leapfrogs FDISR was getting frequent errors with some security apps; most recently NAV.
    Any real time security scanner/HIPS/locker can/may interfere with the snapshot creation.
    Do look at the error log and see what's there.

If you havent already: Just try a redo copy and see what happens. ?

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

As mentioned by Longboard, you ought to disable any active application. I would even try to disable completely Malware Defender.

I used to have AntiExecutable V3 from Faronics, which is a whitelisting program doing much less than a full HIPS. There was no way I could run FD PC Rescue with it active or even DISABLED. I had to uninstall AE V3 in order to have FD Rescue to work properly (basically I had to choose one in the end).

As a matter of fact, conflicts with other applications is the weakest point of FD PC Rescue, IMO, otherwise a great application even in its current version.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  11. LoneWolf

Hmmm..... even disabling MD altogether I get the same results.
    I guess the next step is to uninstall MD and try again. (Just got MD trained again)

12. LoneWolf

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Lonewolf

I don't know if RSS is even available in rescue. Image first before playing. Also I've had no conflicts between regular FDISR and OA,SSM, MD or SBIE(sanboxie) I've never disabled them in anyway.

Pete

14. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Registered Member

Hi LoneWolf,
    I had the same problem with First Defence Rescue on by laptop and one day
    I spend the whole day reading all the posts from this forum. I was desperate, I wanted the program to work and I tried that fix. It started working. I was surprised!. Since then Its been working fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.