First BitDefender Total Security Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EsoxLucius, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Oh Come On, dont be so Melodramatic, who these days doesnt use similar GUI's, its nothing Major, its whats under the hood what Counts. Having just checked My BitDefender subscription I have 372 days remaining, So I installed BitDefender Internet Security 2008 on another Rollback snapshot like C.S.J did. First of all I had a little trouble registering, but once the Server recognized me, everything was fine :) I next changed the AntiVirus shield from Default to Aggressive, in the past with BitDefender v10 this was a No Go situation, and Slowed browsing to a Complete standstill at times,with referer Errors Etc.. However! This version seems to play along nicely with the Aggressive Option to scan HTTP Web traffic, and as yet have experienced, faster, rather than slower browsing :) The only issue I can see is that unlike its v10 predicessor, Internet Security 2008 does not have a section where you can check your expiry date o_O None that I can see anyway, but this again is irrelevant and can be overlooked,as apparently you get a Notification 30 days prior to expiry :) The Anti Spam works well, in Windows Mail, it deleted 2 mails into the delete folder that it had marked as spam, and judging by the mails content BD got this right 100% :) The Firewall Passed the Stealth Test, The Trojan Port Test, The Advanced Port Scanner Test, and the Exploits test Comfortably I didnt test for any leak tests, cause bassically I couldnt give a Damn about them, Only Paranoid Megolamaniacs rant and rave about Leaktests, and Frankly Leaktests are a Load of Utter **** anyway, and Prove Nothing :cautious: BitDefender Internet Security 2008 Plays extremely well with resources, on a Windows Vista Ultimate Machine, bdagent.exe uses a little over 2000k when Idle and a comfortable 3624k while running a full scan :cool: Impressive indeed :cool: I will continue to use BD for sometime to come, and Confirm later whether or not there are any Major Instances, but at First Run, This is One Major Development in the Fight For Security Suites, Well Done SOFTWIN :thumb: This is a Gold Staus thumbs up from Me :D :thumb:

2. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello Zombini and mrhero

If you are going to argue about that you can sue almost every program. You will find also similarities e.g buttons, gui. The reason because you can use them for free. I agree there are some similarities but it isn't an exact copy. All the other stuff Softwin created itself so there isn't anything that Symantec can sue Softwin for it.

Regards
    Niels

Hello Zombini

There was lot of innovation. New engine,game mode, better spam filters.

Which versions of BitDefender did you used in the past?

Regards
    Niels

3. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

BIS 08 Running VERY well here :thumb: The GUI looks and works good, the firewall works great for my needs and the av speaks for itself :) Defiantly my favorite suite together with NIS 08 :cool:

4. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Testing things at the moment. works pretty ok but I have several severe files that BD detects but it caný delete the file or even disinfect the files

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Trying BD Total Security 2008 right now, seems really nice, very light I must say, saves me some 30mb total available ram over NAV 2007 alone, and this is a suite that has firewall etc. Anyway, no problems, system boots fast and all is up and running quickly. Only comment I have is the defragger was painfully slow, took forever to defrag C and D, which are small anyway. Aside from that, everything else seems nice... Just running the Trial here...

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, for the internet security,

the only 'real problem' i have is with the delay of the spam toolbar, as you will see in this video i made (hang on while i upload it) :)

you'll notice that it pops up a few seconds after i click the mouse (or so it seems to do)

the logging also does not work, which i think should have been fixed before its release, im surprised nobody mentioned this in the beta.

7. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Same here.
    And BD icon disappeared from systray after 1 hour:(
    I run BD Antivirus 2008 trial under Vista.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

this error has now gone for me. (for now)

anyway, i created this little video to show the delay on the toolbar in the spam, although it also shows the program too, instead of screenshots. :)

its the only thing that truly bugs me.

video of bitdefender internet security 2008

the software is definatly not without its problems though, but i shall inform them of what i find and only time will tell if they get fixed (hopefully not much time though)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  9. The One

The One Frequent Poster

So you are still on for Bd 2008 C.S.J?

10. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

A question or two...

Does HTTP scanning noticeably slow down the web as in previous versions? And, is the installation of the suites modular like KIS7? I wouldn't install anti-spam and parental control.

11. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Re: A question or two...

I have HTTP scanning turned on and it cause no slowdown at all. In BD 10 it was causing me a huge slowdown, even killing my internet connection and I had to turn it off, but not in 2008 :)

For anti-spam and parental control, you can turn them off in the interface.

Kin

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Re: A question or two...

I noticed that installing patches for HTTP.sys in Windows XP helps the slowdown issue with HTTP scanner in BD10 to a big extent. ;)
    As for BD2008, yeah it causes very little slowdown. :)

But honestly, I'm sold on AVG, it has worked problem free for so long now :D:D:D:D

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well, i own a bd 2008 suite licence, if thats what you mean. :)

quite a few emails, chat support requests and posts on the official forum at the moment to try and help to iron-out some tedious little bugs that annoy me. :)

14. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

I dont care who sues whom. As a user the first time a product with circles on the main page is Norton360. A year later, and Bit Defender as the same circles on the main page... coincidence ? I dont think so

"Fix all issues", tell me you didn't steal that idea from Norton. Anyway, no point discussing this here, but clearly a lot of posters think you guys copied the UI. You may have written it yourself, but you still copied the ideas from Norton.

15. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

I just spent a very frustrating hour trying to test how good BitDefender's protection is against drive-by downloads. In most of these malicious websites, with BD installed the browser just hangs. Looks like there are some serious issues with the way HTML/JScript is being parsed. But hanging the browser is one way of providing protection.. hi guess:rolleyes:

16. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello Zombini

Are you sure that Symantec was the first that used circles? I can't confirm it.
    You are right but what I don't understand why arguing about gui similarities.

Hanging a browser can have other reasons too many temporary files, comptability problems with browser helper objects, too many browser helper objects. The http-traffic scanner can sometimes slown down your connection but that doesn't happens very often.

Regards
    Niels

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

who gives a sh1t, people need to stop complaining, the world is full of them. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.